SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 2001 9-5 Aero with a busted trans from my mechanic that I'm planning on parting out/using as a parts car for my '02 9-3 and my dad's '02 9-5.

But what I really want to know is how many of the parts from the 9-5 will fit my 9-3? I'm already planning on swapping the seats, steering wheel, and wheels, but what else would I be able to utilize/use to improve my car?

For instance, I'd like to swap in the radiator fan, as that has two fans where as the one in my 9-3 has only one.

Has anyone done this? Is this even possible?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if this doesn't belong in the performance/mods/tuning section, please let me know and I will move it to its appropriate location.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Fan wont swap, its a different size and the og9-3 is setup to only have a single 2 speed fan.

The seats will swap over, but the positioning will be different, i.e. 9-5 seats in an og9-3 will sit very close to the doors since the og9-3 is narrower than a 9-5.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read that the seats would be a tight fit, but I had been under the impression that was due to the seat memory control. Is the actual seat part wider?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, gotcha. I'm still refinishing them at the moment (they were horrendously cracked), so I'm still a ways out from installing them. Hopefully the driving position won't be too bad, but if they are I may be forced to sell.

Any chance you would know if getting the heated seats working would just be a plug and play? I can't imagine Saab would exclude that portion of the wiring harness on models without that option installed...

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand your question about the heated seats, did the 9-3 not have them, you mention wiring being excluded possibly. Also some 9-5s had multi level heated seats, the way they are wired is different than the single level of the 9-3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 9-3 currently does not have heated seats, but I know they were an option for the car. What I'm ordering is if Saab would have included the wiring necessary for heated seats (wiring and plug under the seat, and wiring/plug behind the console for the button) even if they were not installed in the car.

I would assume they would have just used the same wiring harness for all of the cars, instead of making several different versions based on what package/options were installed to the car. The fact that I was able to find wiring and a plug for front door mounted speakers in my car (even though none were installed) leads me to believe I am correct in my assumption.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
For the power seats some of the wiring is missing on the non power versions. Tho I wasn't aware that any 9-3s in the US came without heated seats. I think your problem could well be the fact that 9-3 and 9-5 are wired up differently, at least from the switch and car wiring side of things.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
That would make sense, you'd have to check. It can go both ways, for example not all the wiring is in place for the powered seats on cars not equipped with them, yet all cars had wiring for door speakers even if they didn't have them.

I'm thinking not, I think the reason for door speaker wiring being there is so it was possible for a dealer to upgrade the audio system after the car was made, heated seats are a little too involved for that sort or upgrade.
I know the wiring isn't there on cars which don't have heated rear seats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts