SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wanted to make sure I can swap in the ECU from a 2002 9-5 manual trans to a 2002 9-5 auto trans (with a faulty ECU), and if it's still as simple as entering the new immobilizer / VIN whatever

A couple tuners want $150 to do this for me, I'm half tempted to watch a bunch of youtube tutorials and buy a tech 2 clone already and do it myself since I need other Tech 2 stuff done to my other car as well

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
You have Tech II and TIS? I suspect that you will have to program the ECU. At the very least, it will need configuring.

Everything I've read indicates that the ECUs physically swap over. It's getting the right software on them that's the work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, you can just marry the replacement ECM without programming it. The bin on the ECM won’t change unless you SPS. The TCM controls the auto trans.

Diagnostic - 2002 - 9-5 - Body - TWICE - Programming

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is a great solution if the current ECM is readable! Although, $25 isn't the full story - you still need a power supply, some wire, a J1962 connector, and the OBDLink SX cable. Still, a lot cheaper than shop time or a Tech II.
For a once off you can just do it in the car, no need to make any cables, just make sure the battery is fully charged or has a charger connected. Then all you need is the ODBLink which are around the $30 mark now.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Not sure how that could work. The OG9-3 does not have CAN at the OBDII connector, you need to intercept it at the connector behind the glove box and get it to the OBDII connector in order to use the OBDLink cable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure how that could work. The OG9-3 does not have CAN at the OBDII connector, you need to intercept it at the connector behind the glove box and get it to the OBDII connector in order to use the OBDLink cable.
I might be needing new glasses missed the model in the first post!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is for a 9-5 2002

You guys are saying I can do this without a tech 2?? Anyone have a link to somewhere with a little more detail on this?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I actually own a Tech 2 now, and I understand 'the basics'

Anyone have some advice on how to go about swapping ECU's with it? I posted on the Trionic forums about using an OBDLink but got no replies

The one thing I'm concerned about is the ECU I'm putting in is from a manual '02 linear and it's going in to an automatic '02 linear

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In exchange of those ECUs, you only need to reprogram IMMO code.
How do I do that exactly? By plugging in to my computer and editing the code somehow, or can it be done by just putting in the new ECU and clicking "Immobilizer" under TWICE?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
The one thing I'm concerned about is the ECU I'm putting in is from a manual '02 linear and it's going in to an automatic '02 linear

T5 and T7 will work with either transmission - they work in manual transmission mode when there is no signal from the transmission range sensor, then "become" automatic ECMs when there is a signal. The programming is all the same. Like Mimmi said, the only thing you need to do is program the immobilizer code.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So when I was fooling around on tech 2 for the first time today, I hit 'Immobilizer' under TWICE and it 'immobilized' the car. Then I did it again and it 'remobilized' the car

So all you guys are saying is plug in the new ECM and then do that same thing?

I did read that WIS instructional but it definitely felt like I was missing a step

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just did this within the last couple weeks. Converted my b205 to forged b235. I had a spare Viggen ECM laying around. Plugged it in, hooked up the Tech2 and programmed the immobilizer, then cleared codes. It fired right up!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well..that was easy! New ECU went in and programmed in 5 minutes. P1663 cleared which was why I put in the new ECU. Tech 2 has 1/3 paid for itself now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
6 Participants
hunterstein555
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing