SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Ignition control units interchangeable between a 1990 Saab 900S 16 valve non turbo and a 1995 Saab 900 8Valve? Just want to do a quick test to isolate the problem further possibly to the Hall effect unit in the distributor.
The 1985 has no spark, has 12 volts at coil and 12 volts at control unit. I want to swap the control units just to see but don't want to let the smoke out of the 'known good" unit from the 1990.

The coil on the 1990 has a capacitor on it and the 1985 does not?
Thanks for any help I might get.

What is the cheapest and best source and approx price for replacements?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Should be "fine' The IGN modules are surprisingly interchangeable.. and prone to unexpected failure. VW golf units 'Fit' perfectly and run approx $60 New in my part of the world..
A significant price difference from the Same part inna Saab Box.. (But with utterly meaningless 'different' part numbers :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Humorously, That replacement part is $10 more than I paid for the car. But I really appreciate your reply and I will definitely take your advice!
Original plan was to cannibalize this 5 speed and donate its tranny to my other $50 mint 900 s vintage 1990 with no forward gears in its automatic.
Now I just want to get both running. Any idea of how much it will cost to get the automatic rebuilt (out of car)?
Thanks,
Rich3Saabs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts