SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished swapping in my turbo for my 1999 2.3 liter, which fuses should I pull to be able to prime the system? (would fuel pump, starter motor, and unhooking the DI be enough?) thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
yep, fuel pump fuse and unplug d.i. should do the trick. not even sure if you need to take out the pump fuse but for good measure, why not. i dunno if you have oil pressure or not, but if not, then crank until oil light goes out, then plug everything up and start it up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no!

well i primed it and everything was going good, I idled it for a little over half an hour and couldnt find any leaks yet (go me!)

when I first started it, there was definetly tapping/rattling/knocking, I figured it was the lifters not having oil because it had sat for at least a month, but the sound did not really get much quiter as the engine heated up, I took the car for a drive around the block and it definetly has some problems- it rev's really slow and has a hard time getting up past 3,000 rpm- it's way slow also

question: could the exhaust possible be clogged up due to the oil sent through? and how would I tell the difference between piston knock and the sound a timing chain would make (mine's pretty worn- 163k miles)

i'm off to buy more gas and do some more idling b/c its not done smoking yet but any help would be great- thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Did you ever drop the sump? If a turbo goes, it's always good practice to drop the sump to check for sludge. The turbo may have gone due to oil starvation. Many a good Saab Indie wont even fit a new turbo without a sump drop and clean. I would do the sump drop before you drive the car any more. A noisy top end can be indicative of oil struggling to lubricate due to a blocked strainer/pick up
P

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, I droppped the sump not too long ago, and I had messed when putting on the gasket sealent and all the oil rushed out a few weeks later killing my new (used) turbo I had put in a few months before that, I dropped it again and put it back to find the turbo dead- bought a refurbished turbo and installed it, now I cant remember what the engine sounded like before all this junk happened!

G

·
Try disconnecting the battery. Sounds like maybe you didn't reconnect one of your exhaust sensors or some such also. Was it fine before the turbo blew?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the battery was dead/disconnected for the whole time it was sitting, I got a new one in there now, i am pretty sure I only disconnected one exhaust sensor, and that is reconnected, it is possible that I damaged the one farther back, i will look into it

·
Registered
274 Posts
how loud or pronounced is the knocking? better watch out, could be a rod knocking around. doesn't sound like there is any reason why it would, unless there has been something else wrong with it all along. having a hard time revving sounds like engine, not turbo. dunno what to tell you without hearing it or seeing it. video?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts