SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

After reading this board for a few weeks I went and bought a 99 9-3 Convertible.

I am very impressed with the car and got it for a good price.

The drive line works very well and the paint and body is also in great shape.

The roof has been leaking (likely for a while) so the interior is showing a lot of wear.

I have put aside $1,700 for repairs to bring this car up to daily driver status.

I went to the local pick-n-pull today and there was a 99 9-5 with a power / memory drivers seat. (wrong color)

I have a power drivers seat but do not have the memory.

Being that my wife is 5 foot tall and I am around 6 feet tall having the memory
function would be great.

Can I buy the power / memory seat from the junk yard and put my seat on it?

Can I make it work?

Here are some pics of my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't help you with the memory seating, but I must comment that you have quite a sharp ride there! Convertible top works, too, you should consider yourself lucky! Hope it turns out to be a great car for you.

G

·
if you decide to go memory seat im pretty sure your going to need a PMM box. on the 9-5 its located behind the glove box and to the right and is held in by clips. im not sure if a non memory seat car already has the wiring built in though

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Here is a diagram of the PSM system for a '99 9-3. I'm not sure if the 9-5 has the same components.

357Dk - PSM Control Module
357Dj - Memory Buttons

Swapping the 9-5 seats into the 9-3 wouldn't be possible as the rails are completely different.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 9-3 is the same as the 9-5 in that the memory function is contained within the seat, its the black box at the front of the seat.

You will be able to use the memory function of the donor seat but you will probably have to change the cars wiring as the memory function requires a permanent live feed. Get a copy of the WIS to check.

Rewiring your seat to take the black box may be difficult given the limited access. You will still need to check your seat connector wiring to make sure you have all the correct connectors, as the airbag goes thru this you don't want to mess it up.

I've installed memory seats from scratch into 2 Saabs and they are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've installed memory seats from scratch into 2 Saabs and they are worth their weight in gold.
Did you swap the whole seat, or wire up the original non memeory seats with memeory? If the latter how does the system know what postion the seat is in? and are the mirrors also part of the system?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I swapped the whole seat making up a wiring loom to get it to work. Everything for the memory function is contained within the seat so provided you supply the correct power it will work.

I assume that the memory box records the position of the motors and reverts to that when you press the button. There is certainly nothing on the runners or anywhere else to record the position of the seat.

It doesn't control the mirrors, I thought they had a separate memory box? (could be wrong)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Did you swap the whole seat, or wire up the original non memeory seats with memeory? If the latter how does the system know what postion the seat is in? and are the mirrors also part of the system?
The motors use a Hall sensor, see below.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The motors use a Hall sensor, see below.
Do you think it would be correct to assume that the motors in my seat do not have the Hall Sensors in them?

It looks like this is going to have to wait until I either find a memory seat in good shape in my color (not very likely to find) or I decide to have the front seats recovered.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a 95 900SE vert and changed out my drivers seat due to condition of the upholstery. The connectors for memory versus non-memory was identical for my year and model.;ol;

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 95 900SE vert and changed out my drivers seat due to condition of the upholstery. The connectors for memory versus non-memory was identical for my year and model.;ol;
Swapping the whole seat over would be quite easy, however, the seat I found was out of a black car. I live in the middle of TN, most people here have never even heard of Saab. The chances on finding a memory seat in tan, in good shape is very very low. That is why I was asking if I might be able to take out the components that make up the memory function and install them in my already power (non-memory) tan colored seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts