SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was on genuinesaab.com and they have a suspension kit for like 600 and it says that its the one that goes on the Aero. would that be a better deal then buying konis or jsut new performance suspension. And would it be a big pain in the ***** to do it myself? Im really trying to understand the differances between the diff 9-5s. so im assuming the Aero is faster? bigger engine what not? so does that mean it has bigger brakes etc etc.... whats the size diff? between my 9-5 i think SE cause i jsut have the v6 and the aero? and all the other good info you guys are so full of.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
SE in the USAE...

It seems that you have V6 engine with assymetrical low pressure turbo.
In few words Aero is he sportiest 9-5 with the most powerfull 4 cylinder,high
pressure turbo engine.
The sport suspension is lower,stiffer with bit bigger anti-roll bars,the breaks are with larger discs in front-308 vs 288 mm in SE,17" rims,there are exterior and interior differences also.
Konis are also option,but not so good on soft stock springs and you can't change their settings without lifting the car.
Chris 9-5 is one of the biggest Koni fans here and he will explain you anythig about them :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

PS. Excuse me for off topic pleeae ,but you lock the damper thread ,before i can add,that the thing what i mostly like in Konis is colour.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
There are 3 different engines in the 9-5. The I4 2.3L LPT (Low Pressure Turbo), the I4 2.3L HOT (High Output Turbo), and the 3.0L V6 LPT. The Aero is a in-line 4 cylinder 2.3L HOT running at roughly 15 psi. 2000-2001 5-speeds put out 230 horsepower while the 2002+ put out 250 horsepower.

Depending on what your overall goal is, the sport suspension kit is a very good deal. However, now that I run Bilstein HD's, I personally wouldn't ever run the stock shock on the Aero spring. The new shocks are just too good.

I believe somewhere on GenuineSaab.com, they have just the anti-roll bars for sale. Personally, I'd just buy those, get a used set of Aero springs, and get the Bilstein HD shocks if you want to maintain the stock Aero ride height. If that's not a concern, and you'd rather have performance, then lowering springs and the Koni or Bilstein Sport dampeners are the way to go.

The suspension on these cars are fairly easy to do, and there are several threads that tell you how to do it. I've read that doing the front anti-roll bar is a huge PITA and requires some work. You'd have to do a search or post a thread to find out exactly how much though.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
DoctorPhill said:
Chris 9-5 is one of the biggest Koni fans here and he will explain you anythig about them :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

PS. Excuse me for off topic pleeae ,but you lock the damper thread ,before i can add,that the thing what i mostly like in Konis is colour.
Its not locked its still there - "how to adjust konis" ;)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114532

I agree, yellow is an awesome colour :p

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hmmmm

There are 3 different engines in the 9-5.
:D

In matter of fact here in the old Europe there are some more-2.3 Hot 220hp-in USA also.Most common here 2.0 LPT-150-195 hp,few diesels-3.0 180 hp,2.2-125-145 hp and the newest 1.9 Tid-150 hp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so let me see if i get this straight. i have the V6 and its a lpt so i DO have a turbo on it? ok excuse my ignorance but because i have a v6 that means i have 2 manfolds i have turbos on? a ytwin turbo? is that even possible? or do i jsut have one? and does that mean that i can upgrade the turbo to a HOT? or atleast adjust the boost? and where on earth is there a website that sells anything for the V6 because everywhere ive looked its all for the 2.3 or the 2.0 and then the aero. another question is do i have the same LPT as the 2.3 or 2.0? or is mine special because its on the 6? you guys have helped me out so much. thank you so much

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
[takes a deep breath]

Yes you have a V6 with a light pressure turbo. Its mounted on only one bank of cylinders assymetrically. You can't make it a HOT because the TD-04 from the Aero is too big and won't fit the integral turbo/manifold.

Only thing you can do to improve performance is to get an ecu upgrade from Nordic who are the only tuners who produce mods for the relatively weak V6 engine. GenuineSaab sell Nordic upgrades.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is dumb! ok soooooo i have a lpt and i cant replace it. is the only way to adjust boost via a ECU upgrade? if thats true that is MAD lame. could i jsut have a custom manifold made? to retro fit a bigger turbo? or is there no room in the engine compartment. cause honestly ive worked on that car under the hood and have never spotted the turbo thats why im surprised i have one. they must hide it pretty well. so i ahve a v6 and a turbo but all i can do is an ECU upgrade? ugh

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sell it and get a 4 cylinder one ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Sell it and get a 4 cylinder one ;)

If you guys keep telling everyone that, No one will do anything new everyone will have the same setups, thats real exciting:roll:

saili_calvin said:
that is dumb! ok soooooo i have a lpt and i cant replace it. is the only way to adjust boost via a ECU upgrade? if thats true that is MAD lame. could i jsut have a custom manifold made? to retro fit a bigger turbo? or is there no room in the engine compartment. cause honestly ive worked on that car under the hood and have never spotted the turbo thats why im surprised i have one. they must hide it pretty well. so i ahve a v6 and a turbo but all i can do is an ECU upgrade? ugh

Well If you add a Cat and a Stage II you get 240hp and 288 FtLbs Torque. I'm not sure if the bigger turbo and custom manifold would work becuase your still only using 3 cylinders to power it. I think that would mean a really slow spool and not much more boost if any. I might be wrong though i don't know.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
It's hard to tell someone to modify their 3.0 when you really... can't... The engine is too weak to hold any more boost than the Nordic upgrade. No point in trying to make the set-up different if you can't get power.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
If you guys keep telling everyone that, No one will do anything new everyone will have the same setups, thats real exciting:roll:
You guys bought the things, if you wanted tunability you just had to do some reading............its all here :roll:

I think the V6 is a great smooth engine, but its limited in its tuning potential thats all.

How can we write that differently to make you happy :confused:

·
Registered
809 Posts
V6 turbo.

This kind of turbo is build into exhaust manifold and repair is very-very expensive,so that few people experiment with V6 cars.
I'm sceptic also about the new 2.8 Holden-Proton-Opel-Gm V6 engine.
The classic engine compartment design of 4 cyl Saabs and iron block look much better for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
It's hard to tell someone to modify their 3.0 when you really... can't... The engine is too weak to hold any more boost than the Nordic upgrade. No point in trying to make the set-up different if you can't get power.
Where did you get this idea that the engine is "weak" and can't hold anymore boost?:(

Chris 9-5 said:
You guys bought the things, if you wanted tunability you just had to do some reading............its all here :roll:

I think the V6 is a great smooth engine, but its limited in its tuning potential thats all.

How can we write that differently to make you happy :confused:

Well like you just did, a positive and then a negative. If you guys keep telling everyone to get I4's then who will I talk too:cry: lol

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
Well like you just did, a positive and then a negative. If you guys keep telling everyone to get I4's then who will I talk too:cry: lol
Only for big power.

I believe that a V6 with decent suspension and brakes, well maintained, will still be quite a force to reckon with on the road. Plus an ultra smooth cruiser too ;)

And your hair looks great today :p

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
Where did you get this idea that the engine is "weak" and can't hold anymore boost?:(
Weak may be the wrong word to use. The block GM supplied Saab was in no way intended to be used with charged air. That is why it runs such little boost and no one wants to tune it past that. You have to make a lot of modifications to a N/A engine to make it able to withstand high boost numbers, and that 3.0 V6 just isn't able to. They fixed that problem on the new 9-3's, and they really are quite a capable engine now.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts