Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is coming, I need new tyres so I am thinking of ordering the following:

OZ Ultraleggera 18 x 8 ET 38
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric 225/40

H&R Lowering Springs
Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers

I also have the 22mm ARB and poly bushes to install at the same time.

Does anybody know if that wheel is too wide with the lowered suspension?

I only picked bilstein because PFS website says koni is not suitable for a viggen, I might ring to confirm this. Does anybody have experience with this bilstein/H&R combination?

Anybody have that wheel/tyre combo?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I ran 18" wheels and they were awful. Increased rotational mass means slower acceleration, braking, less respnsive steering and they were very difficult to balance and these cars are so, so sensitive to balance. The wide 225 tread made the car tramline like it had a mind of it's own and the reduced sidewall gave a harsh and crashy ride on anything other than mirror smooth road. Big wheels like this are very easy to bend if you go over a pothole. The ET of 38 may be wrong for this width - mine were ET42.Good choice in tyres - just put them on some smaller wheels:cheesy: What wheels do you have now?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Shirozina said:
I ran 18" wheels and they were awful. Increased rotational mass means slower acceleration, braking, less responsive steering and they were very difficult to balance and these cars are so, so sensitive to balance. The wide 225 tread made the car tramline like it had a mind of it's own and the reduced sidewall gave a harsh and crashy ride on anything other than mirror smooth road. Big wheels like this are very easy to bend if you go over a pothole. The ET of 38 may be wrong for this width - mine were ET42.Good choice in tyres - just put them on some smaller wheels:cheesy: What wheels do you have now?
Just for the alternate viewpoint ;) :

Increased rotational mass is only a large factor if the weight is proportionally larger as well. The OZ Ultraleggera weighs in at a hefty 18 LBs; lighter than almost every factory Saab wheel (Even the 16s) :lol: It will have some small effect due to the weight of the tire being pushed further out, but not that large a difference. the fact that this wheel/tire set up weighs less than most stock factory wheels alone means his acceleration will still be quite acceptable; if not better.

Steering is not effected by this however; and will actually improve due to the firmer and lower sidewall. Less tire to flex means tighter turns. If you are going from a 15 to an 18 you may notice a slightly increased resistance to initial steering; but if you are going from 17s to start with it will be negligible.

I run 225 tires on my 17s and have no difficulty at all; in fact the ride is quite comfortable; and I have no more trouble than my winter 205s do with tramlining.

18s are easier to bend; due to the lack of protection offered by the extreme low profile tires. a 225/40 is not an extremely low profile, and offers almost as much protection as my stock wheel/tires do so it shouldn't be a huge thing. OZ are no forged wheels; but they are well built and strong. Up to you and depends on your roadways and how good they are. ;)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
18lbs is the same as my Saab 16" rims - not bad for an 18" but this will definatley mean that strength is sacrificed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the car 9 months ago with 18 inch lenso s73's I think so I already know how how the 18s feel. I never really liked the look and have been thinking about changing since. The ultraleggeras are supposed to be light and they look good (but pricy).

I needed new tyres so I decided to do the lot at once. Just got to find the best price now.
Maybe with the H&Rs it will make the ride stiffer, but I also like the look of the lower ride so there is a trade off .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not quite sure why PFS lists Konis as not suitable (I assume your talking about the yellows). I'm currently running them along w/ the H&R springs, and love the setup. I think there are a number of other members running them them on viggens as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i can't speak to your particular model of wheel, but i've never had problems with a 225 tire on my lowered 9-3.

weighing in on the mass debate - and i am two months away from a physics degree, so i'm not completely clueless - it really depends on the wheel. higher wheel and tire mass (and you have to keep in mind the weight of the tires!), no matter what, will be bad insofar as it's unsprung. from this point of view, a lighter wheel is better.

on the rotational side, you can't just look at 'rotational mass', you have to look at the rotational moment of inertia, which involves both how much mass you have, and how far from the rotational axis it lies. the bottom line is that two wheels can weigh exactly the same and have wildly different moments of inertia; the larger the rotational inertia, the more steering and acceleration and braking and... will be negatively affected. this is why racing wheels try to keep the bulk of the mass near the center of the wheel (c.f. http://www.vacmotorsports.com/db/images/bbs_-_rx_ii.jpg). it's a nontrivial problem to compute this parameter for a real-world wheel, so unless you can get actual data (not likely), you'll have to go off of what people say about your exact wheel size and model - comparisons to similar wheels, or the same model in a different size, are only approximations.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The wheels shoud fit just fine with 225/40-18 tires!
Also I have Konis on my Viggen so they do fit the Vig as well.

I'm running 8,5*19" ET38 with 225/35-19 with Koni+H&R on mine and it works just fine : )

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input.

By the sounds of it the wheels with that offset and tyre will fit with the lowered suspension.

Now I have to decide between koni (if PFS say they fit) and bilstein. They cost about the same and people give positive reviews on both. I can't imagine I would use the adjustable feature that often.

Has anybody any negative comments about either of them?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I ran 18x8 with 225 40 rubber extra load sidewalls on my 1998 900 and it was the biggest mistake I made with the car; increased road noise, increase in suspension noise, severe tram lining, reduced acceleration, skitty handling under breaking, increased bulkhead flex when steering at low speed and a small drop off in economy - all this was with Koni dampers, 6 point brace, some poly bushes , steering rack clamp,brace and a 22mm rear arb.

I put the car back onto 17x7 with 215 45 and all the issues more or less go, sadly due to having slightly cheaper tyres I have a touch more understeering in the wet, but to get rid of all the above it was worth it.

I did not sell the wheels; I fitted them to my 9-5 and non of the issues have occurred on that, clearly much happier with them in fact.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 people have said the 18x8s would cause a bad ride.

Would 17x8s improve it much? I like the wider look and could put 225/45's on them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Vigken said:
2 people have said the 18x8s would cause a bad ride.

Would 17x8s improve it much? I like the wider look and could put 225/45's on them.
When I went from 7,5*18" to 8,5*19" the ride actually improved, believe it or not. The tires makes a huge difference and also the offset and so on.
So just saying that 18's would automatically cause a bad ride is maybe not the entire truth. Sure it will be a bit more harsh due to the lower profile on the tires but it's just a matter of getting used to ;)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Why not do the suspension first and see how you current wheels feel seeing as how they are 18" - they may be OK with your stock suspension if the springs and shocks are going a bit soft with age but if you stiffen it up you may not like it.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Vigken said:
Now I have to decide between koni (if PFS say they fit) and bilstein. They cost about the same and people give positive reviews on both. I can't imagine I would use the adjustable feature that often.

Has anybody any negative comments about either of them?

The adjustability feature of Konis can be considered in two ways:

-- As a performance enhancement -- the dampers can be set to full firm for excellent response on the track.
-- As a life extender -- the dampers can be left on full soft, then tightened incrementally over time if they're starting to go soft. That, and the replacement guarantee, are why Koni considers them lifetime shocks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems that the koni dampers have gone gone up in price and are now alot more expensive than the bilstein so I reckon I will go for the bilstein. Won't have the adjustability but from what I have read still a quality damper.

Might do the suspension first, then the wheels after I see if the 18s are too harsh, good suggestion.

That viggen looks good with the ultraleggeras, blue 3 door like mine. Is that lowered, its hard to tell from the angle? What size are they?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Vigken said:
Now I have to decide between koni (if PFS say they fit) and bilstein. They cost about the same and people give positive reviews on both. I can't imagine I would use the adjustable feature that often
Koni's will fit. Koni just never tried to put them in but they will fit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts