SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 9-5 Linear with 40K on it, seems to have quit a bit of road noise in the back seat when travelling in town. We are in need of new tires, but we are thinking that the suspension might be on the way out. The wife compares the noise to riding in a 1972 Camero or Mustang. I am sure all of us, at one time or another, have had the pleasure (laughtrack inserted here):lol:, to ride in the back of one these cars, so we all know what noise she is referring to. I have riden back there, much to my dismay, and can say that she is right. Shhh, don't say anything to her. It does feel as if it is going bumpty bump down the road at around 25 mph. We will be replacing the tires, alignment and, depending on the advice here, possibly some part of the suspension in the next week or so.

The questions:

1. Is this just how the car is supposed to be?

2. Is there a quick fix ie: tires, new shocks, struts, springs...?

G

·
Cooter said:
I am sure all of us, at one time or another, have had the pleasure (laughtrack inserted here):lol:, to ride in the back of one these cars, so we all know what noise she is referring to.
Nope never been in one of those cars :confused: A stock 9-5 is a pretty quiet car.. Its a little hard to say what the problem is, as noises a hard to replicate over the net. It might just be your tyres that need changing as you say. For shocks and springs do the bounce test on the rear. 40k doesnt seem like a huge mileage but its possible. Ive never really associated suspension with rumble noise. Maybe a wheel bearing. If the noise is in the rear cabin you dont have a small hole in the mid box do you??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finn said:
Maybe a wheel bearing. If the noise is in the rear cabin you dont have a small hole in the mid box do you??
Would an independant shop be able to diagnose the wheel bearing? If so, wouldn't the sound also happen at all speeds?

Lack of knowlege, but what is the mid box?

G

·
Cooter said:
Would an independant shop be able to diagnose the wheel bearing? If so, wouldn't the sound also happen at all speeds?

Lack of knowlege, but what is the mid box?
Yes an indy should be able to diagnose the wheel bearing. Maybe you can just hear the noise better when you are in town.. Dont forget I am only throwing ideas your way.. ;) The mid box is the centre of the exhaust system. If that was blowing abit it could make the rear cabin noisy :confused:

Hey dont worry about the lack of knowledge thang... We all had to start somewhere :D

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Check the rear shocks for leaks, they are known to be a weak point. 40k is a bit early, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

·
Registered
137 Posts
rattle and road noise

I had a road noise problem kinda suddenly in my new 2004 9-3 sedan. It really caused a rattle in the rear doors and so I thought it the issue was the doors. Nope.

The rear shocks were completely broken. They both were replaced under warranty at the dealer and the car went back to being totally tight and quiet like it was brand new.

I've very sensititive to road noise, and one negative about Saabs is that their suspensions are stiff and so you will hear and feel road imperfections. We have to get used to it to some degree. However, make a mental note of how your SAAB drove the first time you bought it. It shouldn't get too much noisier than that time. If so, then there is probably something wrong, or it's old and you have driven it to death over a lot of rough terrain and the parts have just come loose and rattle and rub each other too much. Natural age!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.

Had the car to the local tire dealer and a set of new shoes went on. Noise problem solved, at least to my ears. They inspected the suspension and did not find anything wrong, so I guess the wear bars were doing their job.

Since it is SWMBO's car, I had her pick the type of tires she wanted. We looked at the Goodyear Assurance, the Kelly Platnium and Nokian WR. Decided on the Nokian. Does anybody else run this brand of tire. Looking through their website, www.nokiantyres.com, they use a 9-5 for demonstations of their tires. For those in the US, the WR has the little snow symbol, which from my limited knowledge, is sufficient for traction devices. Tires appear to have a fairly aggresive tread pattern for winter driving, which will be nice if it gets nasty this year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tires did it?

So you are saying a new set of tires fixted your noise problem?

Tires do make a difference with general wheel noise -- especially at highway speeds and above, but I'm skeptical that tires can fix the road noise you were describing earlier.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
9-5's are very fussy about tyre choice, i've heard of people changing wheel bearings and suspension components before discovering it was the tyres making the strange noises.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts