SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Turbo X and it appears that only the rear suspension has ever been replaced (it has old coilovers that appear to have been installed shortly after the car was purchased that also need to be replaced). That said, I'm having trouble finding the replacement parts. The part number on the strut doesn't appear to match any of the parts I can find on eeuroparts and esaabparts. The part number on the strut is 12780360. One website said that this is the same strut as part number 93192871 (suspension code X3), but I wanted to make absolutely sure first.

As for the coilovers, I can't find any identifying marks on them whatsoever. The bottom of the shock absorber part is white. The springs appears like they used to be red, but I have no idea if the previous owner just painted them. Any insight as to what these might be would be appreciated.

I have included images. I haven't decided if I'm going to switch the front to coilovers or switch the rear back to genuine Saab. Any recommendations one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,751 Posts
Looks like it's lived a rough life up north.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go back to stock and get that crap off the car. For the front, get (2) of these:

For the rear, piece it together here:

Thanks for the links! That strut is the one I came across while searching, so thank you for confirming that it's the right one.

As for the rear, is it more important to match the suspension code (X3 https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12848628) or something else? That shock absorber says it's for the "sport chassis", but the X3 code for the front strut says that it's the "lowered sport chassis." It seems like there are substantially more options for the XWD Saabs than when I replaced my old 03 9-3's struts, shock absorbers, and springs a few years back and I don't want to mess anything up.

Then, as a follow-up, springs (both front and back). For the front, there's a direct match for code X3 (https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/93192512), but again it says its just for the "sport chassis" rather than the "lowered sport chassis." For the rear, there doesn't appear to be any springs that show code X3. My guess is that I should go with these springs (https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12780361), but again, I wanted to confirm before ordering anything and ending up finding out that I have the wrong parts for the job.

Looks like it's lived a rough life up north.
Yep, it had one previous owner before me and they lived in northern Ohio, along Lake Erie, so lots of snow, road salt, etc. For the most part, the car is clean, so I'm trying to get ahead of any trouble areas before they become a problem and fail.

·
Super Moderator
19,751 Posts
I say go all out and get some Fortunes. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
The Turbo-X is the lowered sport chassis - same as the '08 and '09 Aero XWDs

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can also just email Matt at eSAABparts and include your VIN. He’ll provide OEM setup and other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I recently purchased a Turbo X and it appears that only the rear suspension has ever been replaced (it has old coilovers that appear to have been installed shortly after the car was purchased that also need to be replaced). That said, I'm having trouble finding the replacement parts. The part number on the strut doesn't appear to match any of the parts I can find on eeuroparts and esaabparts. The part number on the strut is 12780360. One website said that this is the same strut as part number 93192871 (suspension code X3), but I wanted to make absolutely sure first.

As for the coilovers, I can't find any identifying marks on them whatsoever. The bottom of the shock absorber part is white. The springs appears like they used to be red, but I have no idea if the previous owner just painted them. Any insight as to what these might be would be appreciated.

I have included images. I haven't decided if I'm going to switch the front to coilovers or switch the rear back to genuine Saab. Any recommendations one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.
The rear shocks and springs look like they're from the Maptun coilover kit. When Saab went through bankruptcy, the self-leveling shocks went out of production and the only known alternative was the Maptun coilovers. Maybe that's why the owner installed just the rear coilovers. People had also reported that the Maptun coilovers did not hold up well to the winter road salt and grime, and that looks to be the case here.

I ended up installing the entire Maptun coilver kit when my T-X's rear shock went out and the self-leveling shocks were not available. I also had to upgrade the rear springs because the stock coilover springs were too soft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts