SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

TL:DR below

I've got a 95 900se vert. When i got it, it came with some upgrades including adjustable dampeners and lowering springs. This was 2 years ago and I do not know what condition they were in when i got the car, but they're declining now. Springs are sagged lower than they should and the ride is disturbingly stiff when going through bumps and potholes. While this wasn't an issue in FL where the roads are smooth, the car is being torn apart up here. To the best that i can tell the springs are a koni, though they're black the adjustment tool said koni. I know the newer koni's at any rate are powder coated yellow, so i take it these are fairly old perhaps? The springs i was never able to identify but the powder coat is red so i'm thinking it might have been an old package of the Koni/Vogtland similar to what Taliaferro sells now. (oh, and yes, my damps are set as soft as they'll go)

TL:DR VERSION

I was wondering if you guys up in the northern climates that have crap roads filled with holes and lumps, who also have lowered saabs, have had experiences where the spring rate is just making it a miserable time for both you and car alike? I'm torn between reverting to a stock suspension, and getting the Vogtland springs, and hoping that a new, properly riding set may alleviate some of the hard ride issues i'm having. Just looking for some opinions of anyone who has a lowered car, be it with the Vogtlands or the Swedish Dynamic springs, or anything else. Or might my best bet just be to revert to the stock turbo suspension?

Thanks guys :)
Tristan

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I personally ride on bilstein sport shocks on stock springs and i am happy with them along with my other handling mods. I have been thinking of getting viggen springs since they are only a bit firmer and slightly lower as an in between from stock and full sport lowering springs. I would feel that viggen spring would be a good option for you as well.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I currently have an NG900 on the Koni adjustables (yellow) and lowered springs. Before that it had even lower springs on stock dampers. I also have a stock 9-3.

Stock dampers and very low springs = yuk! See a dentist and get your vision checked.
Koni springs and dampers all around = great handling, good turn-in and some body massage.
Stock = motor boat full of custard.
Stock and Genuine Saab ARB = pretty good akchully.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies guys!

I had my front driver's tire spring a leak that couldn't be fixed. Found a set of stock size(205/55/16) tires i had left over from my 9000 and threw them on the front today. This was replacing the 215/50's I had on up till now. I'm amazed but these are actually providing a lot more cushion than i ever expected. Didn't really think the 5mm would make a difference but it's taken a lot of the filling-loosening jar out of the road. Thinking about getting a new set of tires first in stock size and then seeing how it feels with the suspension before making a final decision.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the Bilstien Sport Struts, Koni Springs and GS Poly kit stage one. This is an excellent combo! My handling is superb and less body roll was the first thing I noticed. I should still have a thread on here of my build named something like "Suspension Upgrade Finally Done". Check it out if you havn't already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts