SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The time I feared since buying my car two years ago has arrived. Front driver strut has decided to go bad on me. I was hoping this could wait another year but I suppose I should overhaul my suspension this summer instead. Suspensions are foreign to me so I wouldnt even know where to begin on working with one. But here is a list of parts I want to fix on the front suspension.

Coils
Struts (Strut, Bearing, Mount)
Stabilizer Bar (and bushings if available)

Not sure what tools I would need to do this besides a Coil tool.

I'd prefer to keep it stock if possible, maybe a little softer over bumps if anything.

I would prefer this to be a DYI project over a weekend if possible. I've considered getting the parts from either RockAuto or GenuineSaab.

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. I'd like to get this done by the end of July if possible.

Parts List So Far:
KYB Part # 334689 GR-2 / Excel-G ($109) (Monroe's seem to have good reviews too but I hear KYB is the preferred choice)
KYB Part # 334688 GR-2 / Excel-G ($109)
RAYBESTOS Part # 5451551 ($25 each) - Stabilizer Links

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227378&highlight=suspension+overhaul&page=2

I did a thread on suspension overhaul.
The KYB were cost effective, upgraded the bushings, swaybarlinks from Rockauto I believe. You might as well replace the strut bearings and mounts as you have to remove them anyway when replacing struts.

Improved ride height and handling. Suspension degrades over time so you don't notice how bad it is.
I remember reading that thread when you first posted it. How are all your parts holding up, most notably the KYBs? Are strut mounts/bearings inter-changeable with other brands? I would assume they are.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Hard to tell how the KYB will hold up after only a few hundred miles but they seem a little firmer than stock for an OEM repleacement. But I last had new shocks when the car was new in 2004!

The local indie service dealer said they would be too firm and shake the car apart and I should only go with Sachs/OEM. He's as old as me, knows a lot about SAABs but I think he may mistakenly equate experience as then norm. If KYB can shake apart the front end imagine what Koni's or Bilstein's might do.

I see no reason you can't mix brands on suspension parts that go together as long as they are the correct part numbers. I know you didn't mean 'can you mix one brand of shocks with another" as that would not be wise IMHO.

I guess my strongest suggestion, especially if paying for the labor rahter than doing it yourself, is to get it all done at once. If the overhaul is simply due to age. If only one part broke and the rest is good then just do the one part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts