SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am embarking on a full overhaul of both front and rear suspension after one of my front springs broke. I have an '04 vector with sports suspension, which I have decided is too harsh a ride, so I will not be replacing with originals.

Eibach Pro kit, Koni FSD's, Powerflex Bushes everywhere. The bushes are a big old job but I reckon it will be worth it.

Anyone had any experience with any of this to share?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have not replaced all of my bushings but I did do a fairly major overhaul recently. I'll see if I can find the thread on here talking about it. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234049

I recommend replacing (in addition to what you have listed): front strut mounts and strut top bearings, front sway bar end links (I have the uprated mehle ones), and front spring sleeves (I think they're referred to as zinc spacers but are just tubes which wrap the bottom of eaach front spring).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep the FSD's are indeed expensive, hope they don't suffer like yours did.

Anyway after a few weeks off I have restarted work in the car, rear bushes are almost done.

Looking forward to the end result.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yeah go with yellows they can be plenty soft if you're not looking for a majorly harsh ride. I've gt them paired with vogtlands and can't complain.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Job done. It took a while because I have not been been working on the car all of the time.
Test drive is about to be done in a few minutes and I will post a few pictures of the work I did.

Last thing to be done after this is a four wheel alignment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some Pics

Auto part

Rear Lower Outer - New Bush in place
Auto part

Rear Bushes - Upper arm, Lower arm inner and Longditudinal arm bush.
Auto part Suspension Suspension part Pipe Fuel line

Rear Shock and Spring in place
Auto part Tool accessory Cylinder

Removing the Front rear bush. I used this tool on all of the bushes, worked a charm.
Auto part Tool

Comparison, Front Rear bush Old and New

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Results

This was the first time I have worked on a car without a time constraint, so it has taken some time to complete and subsequently I have really enjoyed doing this work.

The result has been great. OK, the car is now firmer/harder which I was well aware of would be the case however, the front seems to handle bad road conditions and sunken drains as good as before if not better. The front is defenitely more controlled in its movement which is great. The rear is a marked improvement mainly due to the old rear outer bushes being reasonably degraded before. Now the rear is firm but soaks up bumps nicely.

Of course show the car a bit of smooth tarmac and booom, sweet as a you like. Nice flat cornering, good feedback and sweet road grip, undoubtably a big step up from stock setup. All this before I have had the wheels aligned so its only gonna get better, it is a bit wrong in the corners right now due to wheel alignment so cant wait for that to be done.

WooooHoooooo :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work Woodchukker, I would like to do this for my 9-3. How much of a drop would this be on my 05' Linear? and would this take care of the annoying clunking in front suspension I get over bumps?
The Eibach pro kit drops a standard car 30mm, it is a substancial drop but does not deck the car completely, a good compromise for street use I think. If you have factory sports suspension then the drop is only 20mm as the car is already 10mm lower than standard from the factory.

As for your knocking, that is a little difficult to say. Just changing the spring and shock at the front more than likely will not solve your problem, unless you strut is completely gone. I did not have any noises to speak of, but I changed all bushes at the front, there is only three, that would more then likely solv your problem. Changing bushes is not complicated but is difficult especially if you do not have the right tools but is more than within the scope of a good home mechanic.

Good luck if you decide to do it. If you like sprited driving you will not regret :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought I would just write a little follow up on the work I did here.

I got the Wheel alignment sorted, a local guy who sets up race cars helped me out.
We set up the rear camber to the specs maximum -1.5 if memory serves correctly. Zero toe-in overall, just a very slight amount of toe-in on the nearside wheel to compensate for road camber. The same on the toe-in settings or lack of on the front.

Result: Well before alignment I was not entirely happy, the drive home on the other hand was exellent. Sorting out the alignment really made a massive impact, cornering is something else now. The major difference I can feel is the increase in lateral stiffness, this is likely due to the bushes, the car really is alive in the corners and thats what its all about isnt it? Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line!! Comfort wise the bushes and shocks have hardened up the ride, but overall it still feels comfortable, just as good as stock. I can definetely feel the difference in damping rates the fsc's claim to offer. The drop in ride height has of course induced grounding problems, mainly in multi-storey car parks but I can live With that, the car also looks much more equally stanced front-rear with the 20mm drop.

All in all, well happy with the result, can't wait to get my summer tyres back on :)

Next project, Brakes!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I thought I would just write a little follow up on the work I did here.

I got the Wheel alignment sorted, a local guy who sets up race cars helped me out.
We set up the rear camber to the specs maximum -1.5 if memory serves correctly. Zero toe-in overall, just a very slight amount of toe-in on the nearside wheel to compensate for road camber. The same on the toe-in settings or lack of on the front.

Result: Well before alignment I was not entirely happy, the drive home on the other hand was exellent. Sorting out the alignment really made a massive impact, cornering is something else now. The major difference I can feel is the increase in lateral stiffness, this is likely due to the bushes, the car really is alive in the corners and thats what its all about isnt it? Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line!! Comfort wise the bushes and shocks have hardened up the ride, but overall it still feels comfortable, just as good as stock. I can definetely feel the difference in damping rates the fsc's claim to offer. The drop in ride height has of course induced grounding problems, mainly in multi-storey car parks but I can live With that, the car also looks much more equally stanced front-rear with the 20mm drop.

All in all, well happy with the result, can't wait to get my summer tyres back on :)

Next project, Brakes!!
Thanks for the thread, interesting read. I'm in the process of sorting out what I want to do with my upcoming suspension overhaul and I'm wondering which bushings I should convert to poly. Looking at your second picture from your 09-30-12 4:13 post, isn't the contraption on which you replaced the "longitudinal arm bush" the part that allows for the ReAxs passive rear-wheel deflection? I remember reading that the "give" in the rubber bushing is what allowed the deflection, wouldn't this mean you've now lost this function?

Apart from this, do you know what your front camber came out to after lowering?

Thanks,

Seb

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seb,

I dont think just that one bush would negatively impact ReAxs, possibly all of the bushes collectively might however, the toe in arm still has to have some kind of function and I reckon it could still deflect the rear hub!!!

Camber at the front was still within spec, non adjustable also, I would not worry about it. I did not check the angle before so I have no comparison.

Go for it anyway, the bushes smarten up the whole cornering experience whether ReAxs is working or not, you will not be dissappointed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.