SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ive had my '03 9-5 Aero for 16 months and it has been the absolute best thing ever (apart from mpg in city traffic that is!).

A few weeks after initial purchase (main dealer) I got a puncture in the front right (unfortuately ended up just onto the sidewall) so had to get a complete new tyre. This left my tread at 7" on both rears (both new tyres free courtesy of Western Saab Edinburgh), 7" on the new front right, but only about 3" on the front left (not ideal I know). Not long after, I noticed that my steering wheel was slightly off-centre (about 5 degrees off to the left) which has been a little bit annoying but otherwise a non-issue for me. All this time, I simply assumed the steering wheel alignment being slightly out was just due to the inconsistent tread on the front tyres - but for the first time today, I noticed that the front right of the car sits about 1cm" lower than the rest of the car (I measured from the front wheel arch to the top of the tyre).

I have now convinced myself that there is definitely an issue with the suspension on the front right - and that I have been driving around for over a year without ever knowing or noticing any problem with the car... I have certainly not heard any funny noises or experienced any handling or ride issues (although the aero suspension is pretty harsh and crashy at low speed).

...am I paranoid or am I completely blind to what should be obvious handling symptoms? Im a complete newb with car/mechanical car stuff, so im not sure what element of the suspension could be doing this, but I have pressed down on the front right and it does spring back up ok without any bobbing about. I also check my tyre pressures regularly and usually have 36psi on the fronts and 35 on the rears.

If anyone could advise me or make a suggestion as to what else I can try or what aspect of the suspension (or any other part of the car) would be making the front right sit slightly lower than the rest of the car then I would greatly appreciate the input...

Just out of interest, im a 6000 mile gap per service type of person (oil /filter etc) and ive only used my main dealer for service - who are inevitably pricey but extremely professional and seem to inspect the car well (they came back to me with a very slow puncture caused by a deeply embedded screw in my right rear tyre recently) and they have never noticed any issue with the suspension...

Anyways, thanks in advance for any replies!

BAM

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Is there a fluid leak down the side of the shock on the lower side? The fronts are usually a lot hardier than the rears.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a suspension issue too...
I can hear a rough sound coming from my car when I accelerate fast. It almost sounds like beefy exhaust. I'm sure it's the tires rubbing. I've noticed my rear passenger tire is worn more than the others. My girlfriend was following me and told me sparks were shooting from my back. Anyhow, what would be the best solution? Would I just need shocks? I thought I'd need to do the whole suspension and fear the cost.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Speeding Aero said:
A little help please:D
Maybe hijacking BAM's thread upsets people :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts