SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector, and the suspension has always seemed kind of rough, althoug the dealership told me it is due to the sport suspension and the 17" rims. Until last month, I would have considered my suspension as being pretty normal in terms of sounds.

Ever since October when it started getting colder, though, my suspension has started to creak. Even after driving for more than 5 minutes, I can hear noises emminating from what seems like ALL of the wheel wells. I just don't get it. In mornings when I go to drive, I'll actually hear some crunching sounds while going over bumps. After a few bumps, the crunching sounds go away. I have really good hearing, which sucks, becuase like I said I can hear the suspension making all kinds of creaking and rattling sounds when I'm driving, when another person might not hear it. Could it be that certains parts are broken, or just need to be lubricated? If they need to be lubricated, how long would the lub last for?

As some of you might know from my other thread, I have to take the car down this Thursday to get a bunch of interior parts replaced and installed, and I have to have the dealership investigate as to why I sometimes have rough starts and what's making the clicking sounds when I change the temp in the car... So I figured why not have them look at the suspension too. Is there anything in particular I should have them address? Bushings? Sway bars? I'm not very technical, so I have no idea if those could even be problem areas.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
731 Posts
If this is your first winter with the car, get ready.... unfortunately, this is a normal sound as the weather begins getting colder.... everyone hear is familiar with the creaks and groans of the suspension especially in the cold mornings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yspaik said:
If this is your first winter with the car, get ready.... unfortunately, this is a normal sound as the weather begins getting colder.... everyone hear is familiar with the creaks and groans of the suspension especially in the cold mornings.
BTW, my 9-3 Vector looks identical to yours! Laser red looks nice on these cars!

To reply to your post thopugh, no I bought the car in September 2006. All of last Winter was not as bad as is shaping up to be right now...

Could it just be some parts need lubricating? What could some potential parts be? If I ask the dealership to take a look at it, will they be able to identify anything just by looking at it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JonV said:
Hmmm, creaking susoension on an 03 SS...welcome to GM. Try search..nothing new.
This may sound stupid, but what is an SS when refering to an 2003 9-3 Vector? And why can't the suspension creaking/crunching be fixed? I don't get it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to GM indeed!

I have the same problem with my 2004 93 Conv. Its not a knock its a nasty crunch, I only ever hear it when going down kerbs or over speed bumps.

Take it to a GM turned SAAB dealer they will tell you that 'its the SAAB crunch' nothing to worry about.

Take it to an experienced SAAB dealer and they will fix it. I keep forgetting to get them to show me how to fix it but they know exactly what it is, said "it was just a plastic component rubbing". It comes off occasionally and they sort it when they next see the car.

This is just one example of my local useless GM SAAB dealer :x (GM shut the good one down when they bought SAAB). I now travel 280 miles to get a decent experienced dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow Zezdee that is some serious trek to have your car attended to. Until your diagnostics on the suspension, I was going to suggest turning the radio up a little bit to drown out the crunching noise, but the noise sounds like a real problem that can be addressed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
chrismerriman said:
This may sound stupid, but what is an SS when refering to an 2003 9-3 Vector? And why can't the suspension creaking/crunching be fixed? I don't get it...
SS = "Sport Sedan" or "Sport Saloon" which ever floats your boat. I believe in the states we would call these sedans

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
chris, most of the times the creaking is caused by the roll bar bushings and solution is usually lubrification. Will not last long though, so it's up to you if you want to pay to get it done. Or you DIY, maybe?

Try to search with word "creak" or/and "creaking" and you'll find plenty of history in this forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may sound crazy but I'll ask anyways... I just had two brand new Aero rims and 2 brand new Pirelli P Zeros mounted on the front (yes, all 4 rims and all 4 tires are identical). The wheels and tires that had been on the front were rotated to the back - It's a long story, but to sum it up I ran over an industrial size screw, blowing out the tire and cracking the rim, so I bought 2 new tires and wheels, just so I could have a full size spare and not the pathetic donut the car comes with... It was a rear tire that got destroyed, so took the other rear tire and made it the spare, rotated the 2 old front tires to the rear, and had the 2 brand new tires and rims mounted on the front.

Anyways, ever since they did this, I feel like I'm hear more "road" and suspension noise. Could this in anyway be due to the two tires on the front of the car being brand new, and not worn in yet?

·
Registered
72 Posts
THis happens on my 06 2.0t, also, dealer said no fix out yet for this.

chrismerriman said:
This may sound crazy but I'll ask anyways... I just had two brand new Aero rims and 2 brand new Pirelli P Zeros mounted on the front (yes, all 4 rims and all 4 tires are identical). The wheels and tires that had been on the front were rotated to the back - It's a long story, but to sum it up I ran over an industrial size screw, blowing out the tire and cracking the rim, so I bought 2 new tires and wheels, just so I could have a full size spare and not the pathetic donut the car comes with... It was a rear tire that got destroyed, so took the other rear tire and made it the spare, rotated the 2 old front tires to the rear, and had the 2 brand new tires and rims mounted on the front.

Anyways, ever since they did this, I feel like I'm hear more "road" and suspension noise. Could this in anyway be due to the two tires on the front of the car being brand new, and not worn in yet?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I had a 2001 that was terrible in the winter for suspension noises. That was a Saab design and manufacture. The Saab dealer said its how the bushings are lubricated/dry out over time. The best thing to do would be to replace those old bushings and lubricate them. The car will ride 100% better and be quieter if done right.

Its hard to believe how long people let suspensions go (not saying you). The struts and shocks should be replaced earilier than most people do.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DanS said:
I had a 2001 that was terrible in the winter for suspension noises. That was a Saab design and manufacture. The Saab dealer said its how the bushings are lubricated/dry out over time. The best thing to do would be to replace those old bushings and lubricate them. The car will ride 100% better and be quieter if done right.

Its hard to believe how long people let suspensions go (not saying you). The struts and shocks should be replaced earilier than most people do.

I am considering either to get roll bar polished where the bushings clamp, or maybe drop the whole thing in a chrome bath?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Get a subwoofer, play loud music and you wont hear and problem gone - you wont hear jack, and it might actually make your annoying good hearing much worse over time, 2 birds, 1 stone. :cheesy:

·
Registered
448 Posts
i noticed however..

at around -10 the 2003 93 didnt crunch as bad or creak as bad on my 15 inch Steelie rim with winter tire.

It feels softer, and the speed bumps i still have to be-carefull and go really slow, but the other bumps that usually caused the suspension to crunch.. did not crunch, compared to the 17s i was riding on with summer tires.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Would I have any luck if I asked the dealership to lubricate the bushings? Are bushings coverd by the warranty? I jsut hate how bad the rattling and creaking can get sometimes...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
When my delear lubricated my bushings, it was only a fixed that lasted temporarily. It sure does sound much better, but still by no means acceptable. And if you still have warranty then yeah they should do it with no problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts