SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed for some time that my 9-5 engine appears to surge when I have my foot kept constant on the accelerator. Its as though there is an interruption in the fuel distribution to the engine. The garage have checked for it previously but couldn't locate anything.

Recently I have had a new engine fitted, at the same time the car was serviced and it had new fuel filter and recently new exchanged cylinder head. Its still happening, so I don't think that its gonna be any of those things.

Can anyone shed light on what it may be ?

ATEOMT

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the throttle body thoroughly? :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
When I experimentally disconnected the throttle body, the engine would surge at a constant throttle position. Not necessarily the problem here, but that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Depending what the story with your car is Saab was at one time paying 500.00 us to replace the throtle body. Check with your dealer since it's a well known issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle Body

Driving the car this morning the engine cut out and the check engine light came on. I limped home, then took the car to the Dealer. They did a fix with the 'SRS' (I have no clue) and they have said that it may be ok, but maybe the throttle body needs replacing (Probably about £650 fitted inc VAT). This is the second time that this has happened in the last couple of montths.

Picking up on previous message from Zykur - has anyone else had experience of a Throttle Body problem that has been covered by Saab ??

Chris, Finn, Kermit do you know ?
FYI - I'm a Aug 98 9-5 2.3

Many Thanks

AT(very)EOMT :x

·
Registered
601 Posts
Saab paid 500 US for a new throtle body, plus my dealer credited me the 120 the charged a few weeks earlier for cleaning the throttle body and a "software" upgrade. Depending on mileage and if you are the original owner I would give Saab a call. I did hear Saab is being less than generous with the goodwill claims.
Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zykur - can you give me more details on your claim - how old was the car & mileage when it happened ?

I've owned the car from new and its done 65k - had lots of problems culminating in the replacement of the engine (under warranty) as well as refunds for other work that didn't solve the engine problem.

As a result, I'm not their favourite customer at the moment, therefore I need as much ammo as possible to stake a claim.

Thanks

AEOMT

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
ATEOMT, throttle bodies do seem to crop up fairly regularly. They used to be over £500 a piece, but Saab dropped the price (probably knowing they had a problem). If you are half handy with a spanner you can change the TB yourself, just take a couple of reference pictures to ensure you get the pipes the correct way. You can get the Throttle Body at PFS for £260 if you can't persuade Saab to cough up for it, fit it yourself and save £400. :eek:
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_296&products_id=1997

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the way to work this AM the car stopped again so its looking like I'll have to replace the throttle body - can I ask ' If I replace it will the check engine light go off automatically or will something else need to be reset ??

Thanks

ATEOMT

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
If the limp mode is reset (assuming its been triggered by the faulty throttle body) and the battery has been disconnected for say 20 mins then the light should go out, and will only re appear if you still have a fault ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chris. The limp mode hasn't kicked in yet - the car just keeps stalling when the revs drop low - to avoid its I knock it out of gear and brake with my left foot whilst still keeping the revs up.

Geoff

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Have you considered the CPS? That tends to be a cause of a lot of stalling problems, its a lot cheaper than the TB as well. :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The crankshaft position sensor has been a culprit with stalling, or cutting out without warning, I'll find a piccy! ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

When I took it into the garage on Saturday they carried out an SPS on the unit(don't know what this is but am sure it was to re-synchronise something in the throttle body) and that seemed to help - got rid of the checkengine light, but as I say it stalled on Monday on the way to work.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I used to get stalling problems, I changed the DI , plugs, throttle body and it still happened, I then changed the CPS (its about £65 and is DIYable) and the idle was smoother and the stalling stopped.

About 12 months later she cut out again, this time I had the fuel pump changed and not looked back.

So a CPS is a damn sight cheaper than a throttle body ;)

This detects the magnetic disturbance from a toothed wheel on the crankshaft and triggers the spark.

Located on front of engine down behind the turbo and things. One torx screw with a heatshield. Difficult to get at - restricted access. The wire runs up the passenger side of the block clipped to a metal heater pipe. Then to a connector under the plastic cover by the throttle body.

Only change it when the engine is stone cold! Or you'll leave your skin on the turbo:eek:

PS As its magnetic, so you could try cleaning it and have a look at the sensor's face when its out of its little hole :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the CPS have another name as I can't find it on the Parts for Saab website ?

Given the previous comment about the SPS rectification (albeit brief) and that presumably when I took it back that the guys looked at the fault codes and suggested that it was the TB. What are the odds that it could be the CPS ? I was about to take Kermits suggestion and buy a TB from PFS and fit it with my mate...now I'm more hesitant.

AEOMT

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sadly the CPS doesnt give a fault code.

If the sensor goes blind it assumes the crank has stopped and shuts down the engine, no warning lights or anything :roll:

Email PFS and ask for:

https://www.partsforsaabs.com/quote/quote_request.php

Article : Crankshaft position sensor
PartNo : 9177221
Order Quantity : 1

I'm sure they can help ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts