SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my engine started to surge in the last few weeks. Nothing really terrible but noticeable nevertheless. It is only a few hundred rpm's and it is mostly under heavier engine load when going up hill for example.

Recent maintenance included turbo replacement, transmission fluid, coolant, sump cleaning, fuel and air filter, drive belt. Any suggestions what the problem could be?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did everything myself so I know everything was done perfectly. ;) But maybe I overlooked something.. I forgot to mention it is an auto transmission and the car has 90K miles on it.

I used Valvoline Max Life transmission fluid and my first thought was that could be the issue. Perhaps I should try a different brand.

I also replaced the spark plugs with Autolites plugs at 84.5K miles but didn't notice any difference until I did the other things at 87.5K miles.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Wulf said:
I also replaced the spark plugs with Autolites plugs at 84.5K miles
You should be running NGK plugs, anything else can destroy the DI prematurely.

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=34_41_50

GONE FISHING said:
My personal opinion:-

You are driving a high performance car, with a turbo, using one of, or even THE most sophisticated engine management systems on the market.
If the manufacturer (Saab) advised a specific make and grade of spark plug (I would use it).
When Saab tuned the car these SPECIAL NGK resistor type plugs were used,
stick with them, and you can be reasonably sure, that if you do have problems it wont be due to using the wrong plugs.

I have recently had a problem with intermittant miss firing, by replacing the plugs with NGK's I was certain they were not the problem.

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
You should be running NGK plugs, anything else can destroy the DI prematurely.
I'll get those today if I can find them in a local store. It doesn't seem like it could be related to the surging but who knows. Btw, the DI was replaced at 77K.

The manual shows Texaco Texamatic Dexron III for the trans fluid but I have a feeling that will be quite hard to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts