SaabCentral Forums banner

Supporting engine during piston job?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Cap'n P.Zazz 
#1 ·
Hello!

I am preparing myself emotionally to replace my 2001 9-5's #1 Piston's rings--it has poor compression and improves significantly on a wet test.

My head is already off, and I was wondering what the best way to support the engine is once the transmission mount comes off to drop the sump. Is there some place I can position my jack to keep it up or do I need to buy the engine lift the WIS suggests?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hello!

I am preparing myself emotionally to replace my 2001 9-5's #1 Piston's rings--it has poor compression and improves significantly on a wet test.

Check that your #1 oil squirter is not plugged or if oil starvation is your real culprit, which equals a new block......since balance shaft bearings may be already damaged

I have the same symptoms with rings that were not installed correctly by a now out-of-business mechanic. Also a failing MAF can cause a rich condition that washes down the cylinder and the rings start to drag on the cylinder walls
Good luck with rebuild

My head is already off, and I was wondering what the best way to support the engine is once the transmission mount comes off to drop the sump. Is there some place I can position my jack to keep it up or do I need to buy the engine lift the WIS suggests?

Thanks!

#3 ·
You don't have to remove the transmission mount (the one under the battery) to get the sump off. So you'll still have two of the three mounts (transmission and rear) on the engine.

You can also bolt the wishbone back onto the rear attach point (the front one is gone) and then put it back on the right hand side mount for a little more support. you're not supporting nearly as much weight so the strain on those two bolts won't be substantial. there will still be plenty of room to work on the pistons while it's on there.

#7 ·
from memory i put a upturned small length about 7 inch or 8 bit of 4 by on a small scissor jack and slid it to rest under a place near the sump cover but not on subframe. i think i used the crank pulley as the lifting point. i also had to loosen my suframe bolts to allow a tiny drop down of maybe 1/2 inch to get cover down and out and away. was a pain in the neck. also had to remove the exhaust from memory, o2 sensors,unbolt the flange to the front center support and drop ..

#8 ·
The engine will actually hang from the bolts that connect it to the transmission. It doesn't hurt anything. I did that during my engine rebuild and it worked out just fine, I also have a 2001 9-5. If you have the 6 cylinder, I don't know about that one. If you are working on the 4 cylinder, you don't need to remove the transmission mount or torsion rods to remove the sump. Just the little cover over the flywheel. And the engine itself can be removed, minus the transmission, through the top of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.