SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that the spare wheel that comes in the trunk of my 9-5 doesn't fit over the front brakes... Have I been supplied with the wrong wheel for my car?

If not... if I were to get a flat on one of the front wheels, I guess I'd have to move one of the rear wheels up front and put the spare on the rear...

...but how do I do this with only one jack!? :x

I might just start keeping a jack stand in my trunk just in case... :roll:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Take one of the back wheels off, put the spare on that, release the jack, and then put the full sized wheel on the front. It's usually a bad idea to run a spare on the front wheels on a FWD car anyway.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
escalator guru said:
Take one of the back wheels off, put the spare on that, release the jack, and then put the full sized wheel on the front. It's usually a bad idea to run a spare on the front wheels on a FWD car anyway.
ha.

You are correct.. I must be terribly slow today... For some reason I just couldn't seem to figure out that I could just take the rear off firts.. :eek:

I need to stop getting this hungover :nono;

Nothing like a beer induced case of the stupids... :p

·
Registered
679 Posts
On the subject of spare wheels and punctures etc...

I dont know about everyone else but the wheels on my car are not easy to get off... the alloys seem to fuse with the cast iron on the hubs... they are a nitemare to remove... and I would really not fancy doing it with a normal jack at the side of a road in rain/darkness.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me.... going to be putting copper paste around the area where the aluminum is not getting on too well with the cast iron...

Michael

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Wire brush the hubs and then put copper slip grease on the mounting surface. Should do the job perfectly.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Mattlach said:
I just realized that the spare wheel that comes in the trunk of my 9-5 doesn't fit over the front brakes... Have I been supplied with the wrong wheel for my car?

If not... if I were to get a flat on one of the front wheels, I guess I'd have to move one of the rear wheels up front and put the spare on the rear...

...but how do I do this with only one jack!? :x

I might just start keeping a jack stand in my trunk just in case... :roll:
The spare tire is a 16 inch rim, it should fit over the brakes. Where'd you get the idea it wouldn't?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Kermit said:
The 16" rim won't fit over the Aero's 308mm front brake discs.
You sure you're not thinking of 15" rims? :confused:

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raven18940 said:
You sure you're not thinking of 15" rims? :confused:
If I'm not mistraken 16" alloys will fit over the front brakes, but the spare donut doesnt have as much clearance as the alloys....

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I don't think Saab would have fitted a particular wheel as standard fitment if it didn't fit.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
900t said:
I don't think Saab would have fitted a particular wheel as standard fitment if it didn't fit.
I've been thinking exactly the same thing. Mattlach is your spare a spacesaver wheel/tyre combo? Saab would'nt provide a spare that does'nt fit, the spacesaver is VERY SKINNY, the hub mounting surface is not inside the alloy, its virtually flat with the inside face of the tyre, so it would'nt have to clear the brakes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you undo the bolts to change a wheel, and it won't come off, leave the bolts in, but not tight, and go for a spirited 10 mile drive (I'm joking, 100 yds should do it)

Will the 16' 5 spoke SAAB alloy fit over the 308mm brakes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The wheels jam on because of electrlytic corrosion between the (aluminium) wheel and the (iron) hub.

Coppaslip makes this worse, because it is a conductor. You should use white grease instead.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Nick_F said:
The wheels jam on because of electrlytic corrosion between the (aluminium) wheel and the (iron) hub.

Coppaslip makes this worse, because it is a conductor. You should use white grease instead.
Or a few strips of PTFE tape.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I believe (can remember who told me) that the aero and the LPT have different sized space saver wheels, so if you have an LPT and upgrade to aero 308mm discs the space saver wont fit on the front anymore :confused:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Mattlach has an Aero so presumably he has the Aero's space saver not the LPT version. [scratches head and looks confused]

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Mattlach has an Aero so presumably he has the Aero's space saver not the LPT version. [scratches head and looks confused]
Hmmmmmmmm, we need an Aero handbook then and find out if they say to put the space saver on the rear only :confused:

Or a visit from Super Wes :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts