SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2004 Arc that I picked up in August of 04. This week I got a letter in the mail from my dealer that said this:

Dear Galla47,
Maitaining your 2004 Saab 9-3 now saves you tima and money in the future! Pleas bring this reminder in with you for service on the following:

SUPPLEMENTAL SERVICE

Our recommended intermediate oil changes are optional and are not covered byt he manufacturer's NO Charge Maintenance Program. To keep you on the hoad, and your vehicle running the best, it's important to follow the guidelines for regular maintenance. In the long run it will save you money.

Sincerely,

Saab Dealer

OK.. So I have about 5,500 miles on the car... nearly 10k less than the first manufacturer scheduled oil change. Is this change necessary??? Also, I noticed that after I took it in for the 30 day check-up, the service reminder was reset. Do they do an oil change at the 30 day?

So if this is the "guidline", why isn't is covered?? Is the dealership just trying to shake me down for some $$?

My salesman sort of recommended I get an oil change around 7,500 miles, but he said that that was because he couldn't shake the traditional 3,000 mile interval, and he thought that was a good compromise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes the dealer is just trying to get more money out of you but they are also doing you a favor. I have seen many reports, studies, and tests with synthetics like Mobil1 and Amsoil and even after seeing what they can do I still will be changing my oil out at 7500. I don't care what the Saab manual says, 15k is just too many miles for me... remember Saab is paying for the 15k change, not any potential damage that will cause problems years from now.

Just make sure if you take the car in for a change around 7500 that your service department DOESNT reset the service interval. If they do, when your 15k comes around and you don't get a service reminder, they won't be doing the change under the No Charge Maint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Changing Oil before it's time is a waste of your money, our resources and it drives up prices rewarding producers by falsely inflating true demand. Further, it creates an environmental disposal problem for the discarded Oil. I would say follow Saab's direction and screw the Oil Companies who are pushing their products without regard to any consequences other than their own profits.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
hz536n said:
Changing Oil before it's time is a waste of your money, our resources and it drives up prices rewarding producers by falsely inflating true demand. Further, it creates an environmental disposal problem for the discarded Oil. I would say follow Saab's direction and screw the Oil Companies who are pushing their products without regard to any consequences other than their own profits.
:roll:

galla47

Are you financing or leasing your car? If you are leasing, then I would just stick to the 15K OCI. If you are financing, then I would recommend changing the factory fill when the OLM shows 50%. Myself and a couple of guys on here do oil analysis. It's a good thing to flush the wear metals out of the factory fill around 5K to 7.5K.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Unless a Saab Engineer tells me otherwise, I will stick to the intervals that were suggested by the manufacturer.

We have another car that was one of the first to go with synthetics (MB Benz C230) and we used the suggested 15,000 km index (or whenever the computer tells you). To date, we have had no problems other than regular wear and tear items and this we are going into the 7th year of owning the car.

Goes to show that the old habbits no longer have to be followed. These new engines and oils that are being used are quite outstanding and the typical
replacement period of 3,000 to 5,000 miles is no longer really necessary.

But that is just my take on it. I have roughly another 10,000 km before my next service visit. Which should bring me close to the end of the summer or fall time frame.

Paul

·
Registered
213 Posts
15,000 kilometers is alot different than 15,000 miles... I'm referring to miles. I look at oil as a cheap form of insurance. You can't hurt the car by changing at 7,500 miles, and I'm not going to push the limits of my oil when its protecting a $38,000 car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Site that may be of interest:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

I've followed that site for a while now, and yes they were able to go 18,000miles using mobil1 and their test car isnt even built specifically for it like our saabs. But, they did need to change the oil filter at 12,000 miles. Did you ever think about the quality of your filter? Sure the oil is rated to for over 15k miles, but not if its getting particles in it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Maybe a naive question and I would'nt do it. I changed my factory fill at like 3k and plan to do regualr full service changes between 5-7.5k (I financed my car so I'm more comfortable doing changes)

How do you change an oil filter without emptying the whole system? Seem's to be you'd spill oil if you removed the filter to change it only.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I chose to have my oil changed at 9,000 miles, as an interim between to the 18,000 mile schedule. The dealer offers oil and filter change for £95 which I thought was reasonable.

OK, it is not absolutely necessary, but I own the car and have a fairly short (11 mile) run to work. I tend to drive the car fairly hard. Turbo engines tend to work their oil hard anyhow as it gets sheared in the turbo.

I plan on keeping the car for five or so years, which will equate to around 100,000 miles plus. I would rather spend £450 in additional oil changes in that time than find that at 80,000 miles I need something major replacing.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
finklejag said:
:roll:

galla47

Are you financing or leasing your car? If you are leasing, then I would just stick to the 15K OCI. If you are financing, then I would recommend changing the factory fill when the OLM shows 50%. Myself and a couple of guys on here do oil analysis. It's a good thing to flush the wear metals out of the factory fill around 5K to 7.5K.
Ditto to Finklejags and others comments.

If you lease go the 15,000. If not change at 5-7,500 miles. I did an oil analysis at my 15,000 change and although the oil was fine there was quite a bit of debris in it from break-in. I don't think it's wise to have that circulating for that long a time. After the first oil change you can follow the computer safely in my opinion.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
Ditto to Finklejags and others comments.

If you lease go the 15,000. If not change at 5-7,500 miles. I did an oil analysis at my 15,000 change and although the oil was fine there was quite a bit of debris in it from break-in. I don't think it's wise to have that circulating for that long a time. After the first oil change you can follow the computer safely in my opinion.
I would imagine you would drain the oil and remove the filter as you would do on a normal oil change but refill with the drained oil. You'd probably have to top it off to make up for any oil spilled or left in the filter.

As for the rest of the thread, Saab, Mercedes, GM, et al are in the business of selling cars. It is in their best interest to keep the car running fine through the warranty period and no longer. Also, their intervals are based on optimum conditions - no over-revving the engine, no excessive cold starts, no racing, no stop-and-go traffic in 100 degree weather, and so on.

I'm sticking with 5000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are good arguements for and against the 15K oil change interval.

In my own Sport Sedan, I change the oil every 5,000 miles. There has been no evidence changing the oil too often is harmful to the engine.

I changed the auto trans fluid at 15K miles.

I plan on keeping the car at least 5 years, and plan on some upgrades in the future.

One of the problems that came up with long service intervals was that most recommend to get optimum tire life, you should rotate your tires every 5000-7500 miles. This is one reason the Pirelli PZEROs wore out so quick. People did not come in till around 12-16 K when their service light came on.

Both SAAB and MOBIL1 claim the 15K interval is fine. I figure if its good for 15K, it must be even better every 5K. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to the service rep. They didn't try to hard sell me on the supplemental service, but for sure it is not covered under maintenance package.

They wanted $130 for the oil change. I thought this was a bit buch. I called Jiffy Lube, and they want $58 for it... but they don't carry the Mobil 1 0W-40 that is recommended.

I'm going to do a forum search on here, but it doesn't sound like I should go to Jiffy Lube and get a 5-40 change...

Is there any reason not to do it myself? I might buy a filter from the dealer when I go to pick the car up.

-KG

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
So are you financing your car? Did your service rep tell you it was going to cost $130.00 with a straight face. :roll: It will cost you about $40.00 for the parts if you do it yourself.

OEM SAAB filter: 12 579 143

Filter gasket: 90 537 437

Oil drain bolt washer: 3 536 966

If you have a Saturn dealer near you. You can buy the filter and gaskets there for cheaper. All GM brands use the same part number for the filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I'm financing, so it sounds like it's in my best interest to do this intermediate oil change.

The service guy told me over the phone. I really couldn't belive it when he told me. I thought he was joking. I'm used to paying $30 at the jiffy lube. I figured the synthetic would be more, but I really wasn't expecting $130.

I'll have to check out the saturn dealer... Save myself 80-90 bucks!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
galla47 said:
I talked to the service rep. They didn't try to hard sell me on the supplemental service, but for sure it is not covered under maintenance package.

They wanted $130 for the oil change. I thought this was a bit buch. I called Jiffy Lube, and they want $58 for it... but they don't carry the Mobil 1 0W-40 that is recommended.

I'm going to do a forum search on here, but it doesn't sound like I should go to Jiffy Lube and get a 5-40 change...

Is there any reason not to do it myself? I might buy a filter from the dealer when I go to pick the car up.

-KG
My dealer in NJ charges $64 for an oil change...:roll:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Jet 9-3 said:
My dealer in NJ charges $64 for an oil change...:roll:
Mine too. $14.95 if you have a coupon:lol:

Geez the MB dealer across the street from me only charges $110 for up to 10 quarts of synthetic!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK...

So I called 2 other dealers in my area...

One wanted $80, but the best deal is:

Bay Ridge Saab in Brooklyn... $50 for full synthetic, they guarantee it will be less than 45 minutes during the week or the next one is free, and they are open till midnight on weeknights. Can this possibly be beat?

-KG

·
Registered
387 Posts
hz536n said:

Are you a member of PETA?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts