SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang...

OK I want to tap the sunroof wiring right before the sunroof switch to add a direct tap for my radar detector. There are four wires! Which ones should I tap? Help!

Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a volt meter and the Haynes book does not say anything about the sunroof wiring. Also...with a volt meter...how can I determine the ground? I know... dumb question right? :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
AlexPDL said:
I don't have a volt meter and the Haynes book does not say anything about the sunroof wiring. Also...with a volt meter...how can I determine the ground? I know... dumb question right? :)
Ground should be any exposed part of metal (chassis).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cse_20 said:
Ground should be any exposed part of metal (chassis).
Sorry in the tight space of the overhead compartment there is no exposed chassis. Id much rather just tap the ground off the grounded cable.

So I have my T-TAPS. I just need someone to tell me what the two wires are. I've heard others taping the sunroof switch... I just cant find the wiring schematic anywhere.

·
Registered
708 Posts
AlexPDL said:
Sorry in the tight space of the overhead compartment there is no exposed chassis. Id much rather just tap the ground off the grounded cable.

So I have my T-TAPS. I just need someone to tell me what the two wires are. I've heard others taping the sunroof switch... I just cant find the wiring schematic anywhere.
Yes I know, but one of those wires will be at the same ground reference as the metal chassis. Stick one of your leads from your ohm meter on the door hinge, not the part covered with paint, your other lead check your wires with ignition "off", one of those wires will be a short 0 ohms (ground).

Then just to double check, turn ignition on, switch your multimeter to voltmeter, stick black lead in your wire that was shorted, probe with red lead on the other wires, if you find one of them them at 12v, you now know all you need.
Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where to find switched 12 volts and a good ground...

This info is from a '99 wagon, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't apply to most model years. Using the following connections allows the work to be done without removing the moonroof switch panel. There's a plug pair up front under the RV mirror stalk (between it and the windscreen) which has a solid black wire. This is a good ground for a detector (it goes right to the ground point at the base of the LH A pillar). If you disconnect the plug pair, there's plenty of slack to allow pulling either end out and working with it. Unfortunately there is no ignition-switched 12VDC on this plug that can be used, although a couple of wires are live all the time. Instead, look at the three bulb sockets for the seat belt warning; you'll notice they're daisy-chained together. The lead along the side of the sockets nearest the windscreen is ignition-switched 12VDC. You have the option of tapping into the lead either between the bulbs (possible but awkward; they're only about 1/2" apart) or by pulling some slack from the harness (it did not have much give to it, and I did not pursue this route). Soldering to one of the bulb socket solder tabs will also work (this is the route I chose and is quite easy to do). Be careful not to create a solder bridge to the other solder tab on the socket you choose, and perform this work with the ignition off and the ket removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts