SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sunroof in my 92 900T hatchback is starting to slip when you open it. From the old sunroof threads it sounds like it's motor related or maybe some screws that need to be tightened inside the mechanism. It doesn't sound like rocket science but I just paid $700 to have the headliner and 2 rear pillars reupholstered so I'd really rather not have to take it down. Can I do anything from the opening for the dome light?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The sunroof in my 92 900T hatchback is starting to slip when you open it. From the old sunroof threads it sounds like it's motor related or maybe some screws that need to be tightened inside the mechanism. It doesn't sound like rocket science but I just paid $700 to have the headliner and 2 rear pillars reupholstered so I'd really rather not have to take it down. Can I do anything from the opening for the dome light?
What exactly do you mean by slipping?

No need to drop the headliner. The roof motor is in the boot at the very back, underneath the floorboard…

To make adjustments to sliding roof section you will need to partially open the roof to access these screws…

at which point you can remove the metal lid by pulling forward and up. Dan of ParadiseSaabs use to have a great DIY headliner walk through but I can't seem to find it any more. :(

If you take a look at this page it will also explain what needs to be done. Once you have the outer roof off you can observer what is happening with a helper operating the roof switch.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy Moley, that's awesome! Thanks! I'll get right on that. Dumb question: how is the motor connected to the sunroof? Are there long cables through the rear pillars? or hydraulic lines like a convertible?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My sunroof started misbehaving on Saturday. It was sticking or slipping.

Did a quick search ("sunroof"), found this thread, read Jim's post, and had it fixed in no time (with the help of a missing screw from my parts hoard).

Thanks Jim! Thanks to the O/P and other posters as well. It's good when the search works!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll probably find the drive mechanism loose on the motor. Reassemble it and you're fine. It's pretty self-explanatory.
Alternator done, time to move on to fun projects!

I tightened up the 3 screws that hold the mechanism to the motor and the 2 on the mechanism. The sunroof slips a bit less but is now super slow to open. Did I tighten something too much?

Can you take apart that motor like you can the window regulator motor and clean it up? Does it get full of gunk? I had to stop for the day but if so that sounds like a job for tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Can you take apart that motor like you can the window regulator motor and clean it up? Does it get full of gunk? I had to stop for the day but if so that sounds like a job for tomorrow.
Yes. Undo the three screws you tightened, remove the motor & access the gears. Scrape out the gunk, re-grease and reinstall. Piece of cake. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. Undo the three screws you tightened, remove the motor & access the gears. Scrape out the gunk, re-grease and reinstall. Piece of cake. :D
Ok I took the 3 screws off and cleaned and greased up the gear mechanism but that didn't do much of anything. I then unscrewed the 2 screws on the bracket that holds the 2 cables together and here's What I found. Is that gear supposed to look like that? The teeth look all ground down but maybe it's supposed to look that way.

I greased up that gear and put it all back together and it still was slipping. I then tightened down the screws way tighter than I wanted to and that helped some.

So is that gear the problem or is it supposed to look that way?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
That's not good.......
The rotor is meant to have well defined teeth to grip the cable.
I don't know if that has any useful life left.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That looks pretty worn. Mine didn't require attention to that gear. Sorry, I assumed lubing the outer gear would take care of it.

Here is one with less wear:

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks pretty worn. Mine didn't require attention to that gear. Sorry, I assumed lubing the outer gear would take care of it.

Here is one with less wear:
No problem! Yeah I guess I'll have to get a motor unit on eBay. I doubt anyone has just the rotor gear for sale.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I did send just a gear to someone in USA many years ago, as that';s all he needed,(motor ok) so a lot cheaper(still have the motor lol), but apparently the XJ6 jag's had the same unit, and you could just buy the gear, where the Saab unit was only sold as a complete thing, hence why the guy just asked me to send the gear, but I suppose there are a few in the scrapyards now;ol;

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gold! My sunroof has dropped on the left side, big gap not sealing and producing loads of wind noise at 80kph and higher. I was thinking I'd have to pull the whole headlining, but knowing I can remove the roof in two parts from above makes me very confident to give this a go. Guess I won't need to weld the sunroof shut now after all!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
there is a (white)plastic wedge that clips onto the runner area each side of the sun roof, if it breaks or falls of the roof will drop not seal which sounds like your problem. wind the roof wide open and you should be able to see yours and the other if it's come adrift or broken, easy fix to put back in place if just come off

1 - 16 of 16 Posts