SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to AeroErn for posting his thread to make me attempt this. Let me first say that I am in NO WAY mechanically savy when it comes to cars. I don't even know how to change oil properly.

What drove me to fix the annoying sunroof plastic rattle/creaking/cracking noises was seeing those pictures. I was scared ****less while doing it to my MY 07 SS. I was so scared I'd break something or I'd mess something up, but thankfully I didn't.

It was VERY HARD to remove the center holding cap which holds the sunroof frame in place. When I pulled hard on it the whole frame popped out of the back and I had to wiggle it out from the frame. I even cut myself on the plastic in the process (see, I'm a klutz!).

I bought some electrical tape at ACE Hardware after class this morning and went right to work when I got home from school. Once the frame was off I noticed that the headliner was all shabby on the ends. I didn't tape the headliner at all as AeroErn suggested. I really didn't see the need as that didn't seem to be causing the noises.

I put two layers of tape on each side of the metal frame surrounding the sunroof as to make sure to dampen any creaks from coming back. I found it best to cut the tape into smaller pieces when taping the corners and to do 12" strips when doing the longer pieces of metal. I think I was a little too liberal with the tape in the end.

Anyhow, once all the metal was taped up I proceeded to place the frame back in place. THIS WAS THE HARDEST PART. It won't fit in at all if you just place it back in. You have to squeeze one corner (front first) in at a time. Make sure the headliner goes up into the frame. Step outside the card and work from the top of the sunroof looking into the car and guide the frame back over the metal strips and into place. I used the palms of my hand to really pound the frame back into place. IT'S REALLY STUBBORN TO GO BACK IN!!! You have to use a lot of force to pound it back into place so it's very snug. The rest is pretty self evident. Pop the center cap back in (with some force) and you're all set.

THE RIDE IS SOOO QUIET NOW. It's like a TOTALLY different car. I no longer cringe when going over bumps in the pavement. It's silent!!! This is amazing!!! I encourage all those who haven't done this to do it ASAP. You won't regret it. TRUST ME :]

Here's some pics...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I cut myself as well when taking the small plastic connector out so don't feel bad! However, I used blue painter's masking tape and so far no problems...nice and quiet. Now if I could only eliminate the passenger's front door buzz and driver's side B pillar buzz...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob Z. said:
I cut myself as well when taking the small plastic connector out so don't feel bad! However, I used blue painter's masking tape and so far no problems...nice and quiet. Now if I could only eliminate the passenger's front door buzz and driver's side B pillar buzz...
Cool! Yes, I SOMETIMES hear those buzzing noises, but more often in my mother's 9-3 than mine. It's like right next to you ear and drives you crazy, lol! I still can't believe how much quieter the car is now... it's amazing!

G

·
I imagined Saab would have fixed this issue on the 2007s as it started with MY06. After I did mine, it seemed some of the creaking noises returned after 6 months. I think the hard plastic edges slowly scratch through the electrical tape. Shame on Saab not having fixed this irritating problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wulf said:
I imagined Saab would have fixed this issue on the 2007s as it started with MY06. After I did mine, it seemed some of the creaking noises returned after 6 months. I think the hard plastic edges slowly scratch through the electrical tape. Shame on Saab not having fixed this irritating problem.
Do you plan on reapplying the tape? I'd hate to have to go through this again! It's been a dream driving around all afternoon and evening with NO sounds/reattles/creaks. It's like a dream! The car is just so different without the sounds.

G

·
I don't have my 9-3 anymore, switched to a 9-5 about 3 months ago. But I know what you mean how it changes the overall feel of the car.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've noticed over the past 4 years I am super sensitive to just the squeeks I can hear of things in the door pockets or sitting on the back seats... seems like everything in the cabin of the SS makes a rattle to me. I am finally used to it I think.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also drive an 2002 GMC Sonoma truck, I have less than 30K miles on it. Every interior part squeeks, squeals and yelps at one time or another, very irritating, and has been that way since new.
So far the 07 9-3 is a pleasure to ride in, and we do have a sunroof. Probably a matter of time before it breaks the sound barrier.

The rear third tail light cover continues to drop down on one side. I've asked for a replacement, plastic trim is cheaply made. It is no wonder these trim pieces rattle.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My sunroof looks different than yours. Mine doesn't have the plastic sunroof frame. The headliner just folds cleanly up into the sunroof space.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Reply to Tozion- Sunroof Rattle Fixed!!

My Saab: 2005 Saab Aero

This past weekend, I did try this "noise reduction" fix, and it DOES work. WOW! Every Saab owner needs to take and perform this fix!! Just follow Tozion's pictures above!! HUGE difference!

Now, after driving with sunroof fix, most of the road noise is coming from the following (from worst to ok noise):

1. Floor (road noise)
2. Front seats rattling
3. Behind Rear Seat - Platform (where speaker covers are, seen thru rear window).
4. Dashboard (rattles)

I am going to (this Saturday 10/27/2007) look at issue #3- the rattling coming from the rear seat shelf. There is alot of rattling coming from this. I will take some pictures and diagnose where the noise comes from. I do have medical pads and some dynomat if needed. Will get back with you guys on the fix!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My sunroof started rattling about 3 weeks ago when I was up north. Now it rattles all the time even when warm out.

Has anybody got the dealer to fix this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Aspen said:
My sunroof started rattling about 3 weeks ago when I was up north. Now it rattles all the time even when warm out.

Has anybody got the dealer to fix this?
It's under warrenty, so why not? Although these home remedies seem to be working just fine. However, I always go with the warrenty. God forbid something snaps, breaks or cracks while YOU are doing the repair, then it's NOT covered, but if the dealer does it they will replace/fix it no problem.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I came across this in a search to fix the rattle that has always existed in my sunroof. Last night I did this simple fix and it worked like a charm -- very easy and simple fix! ;ol;

1 - 15 of 15 Posts