SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FIX YOUR SUNROOF, FINALLY!! DRIVE WITH THE TOP OPEN ONCE AGAIN!!

After more than a year of several attempts to produce these, I am proud to present these Saab Sunroof Clips to repair/replace your broken clips and fix your sunroof. The original clip is part of the sunroof mechanism and attaches to the wind deflector. Unfortunately. the original plastic part breaks easily through wear and was not properly designed by Saab for repeated use. To make matters worse, Saab no longer sells the clip individually. In order to get the clip, it is necessary to purchase an entire wind deflector assembly which comes with the clips attached to the deflector arms. Some people have detached the deflector arms so that the sunroof works, but by detaching the arms wind noise and buffeting is increased.

Fortunately, I have been able to produce these clips out of stronger ABS plastic which should last longer than the original part. In addition, we have beefed up the areas where the clips normally break, so that it is less likely to fail. We have increased the size of the tab connecting the clip to the wind deflector arm and added more material to make it substantially stronger.

Models
I made these clips to repair the sunroof on my 2004 9-5 Aero, but these clips should work with most models which use the clips pictured below. Please verify fitment for your model before ordering.

Sunroof Clip Repair Kit
The kit will include 2 brand new clips, full color installation instructions, and free shipping anywhere in the the United States; additionally shipping cost for international orders ($15) outside the United States. This repair kit will enable you to repair your sunroof and wind deflector setup so that return your car to better than stock. The original wind deflector reduces buffeting and wind noise while the sunroof is open.

Time to Install
15-20 minutes; EASY install.

Tools Needed
Small-sized screwdriver and needlenose pliers. These will be used to remove the pin holding the deflector arm to the clip, and the deflector arm to the assembly (front of car).

Installation Overview
The Repair Kit includes a nine (9) page full-color, detailed set of instructions. Essentially, the steps require removing the metal retaining pin from the damaged clip, swapping it into the new clip and inserting into the corresponding tab for the deflector arm. It can be done while on the car, but it is easiest and fastest to take the deflector arm off the vehicle. The instructions have all the information. There is no need to remove the headliner, etc.

Benefits
- Repair your sunroof and restore normal use and function
- Repair normal function and use of wind deflector
- More durable and unlikely to ever break
- The kit includes 2 clips to last a lifetime

Cost
US $50

How to Purchase
Pay via paypal! Send me an PM with the following information: 1. Screenname; 2. Email Address; 3. Name and Shipping Address; 4. Paypal Email Address. I will then confirm your order and provide your payment instructions via paypal.

Acknowledgments
I would like to thank Uncle Miltie (Bill) for his assistance in this project and technical guidance.

Thanks and happying DIYing!

Installation Pictures

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I just pulled these off, I will need to by a pair, but after taking them off, the roof binds about 4 inches from closing, I can close it with the manual close but there is a sticking point, any idea what it could be? any standard issues I shoudld check?

When I wind it past the spot using a screwdiver, it will then only back up with the switch even when trying to go forward. ( i figure it is and anti- pinch feature).

When its moving I cant even pull it past the binding using al my strength

And I literally went out to do this today a couple of hours ago I didn't think to look at Saabcentral and broke the front hinge clips pulling them out figuring I would need to buy the whole thing anyway and was not worried so now I may need to buy it but have to fix the sticking issue first haha, just my luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alej: The repair takes approximately 15-20 minutes and is an EASY repair. The only tools required are a small-sized screwdriver and pair of needlenose pliers. These tools are used to remove the metal pin which holds the deflector arm to the clip, and to remove the metal pin which holds the deflector arm to the front of the sunroof assembly. The repair kit includes a nine (9) full-color detailed description of all the steps so you can't mess it up. There is NO need to remove the headliner, etc. The steps require removing the metal retaining pin from the damaged clip, swapping it into the new clip and inserting into the tab for the deflector arm. It can be done while on the car, but it is easiest and fastest to take the deflector arm off the vehicle. The instructions have all the information.

Galvas: Jose, yes I received your funds and your package has been shipped out. You should receive it by the end of next week, Friday. I was told by the post office that it takes between 7-14 days to make it to Portugal. Let me know when you receive them! Thanks!

Jssaab: It's hard to know what's going on with your sunroof without seeing any pictures. Normally, when these clips break they will "twist" while in position and protrude slightly upwards which makes the sunroof catch on them and bind. The sunroof will close halfway and then bind and stop b/c the clip is popping out of the track and the failing to retract the deflector screen. These clips might help your situation, but if you have already broken the deflector arm from the front of the assembly, then you might have another problem. Let me know if you want to buy a set and I'll send you a pair of clips and you can try to fix it. It's a modification because the clip is a stronger, beefer version of the original and should never break. I've also posted in classifieds, though. Thanks!

Luke Griffin 3.0L: I sent you a message with payment instructions. Please send payment via paypal and then send me your full name, paypal address, and shipping information and I will ship immediately.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Aeroracer!
Just to let you know, it took almost 2 month to get cleared in costums...
It´s not your fault... it´s from Portuguese costums...
Well, it´s done and was very simple to do. Just a tad difficult to know how to insert it "on an angle"
I did a video... later i´ll put it in youtube and let you know.... if you wish

Thanks a Ton!!!!
;ol;;ol;;ol;

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sunroof of my 9-5 aero 2003 is broken, the windshield clips.
Just now, when summer is coming.

These clips look fantastic!
Are you still selling?
I would love to receive new clips!

I live in the Netherlands, would you consider shipping?
Ofcourse I will pay with paypal for all the costs.

Unfortunately due to my low post count I cannot sent a private message. If you could send me, I will probably be able to reply. Thanks!;ol;;ol;

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is exactly what I need for my 2001 9-5 Aero. Since I am new to this site I can't send you a PM to give you my order info so Aeroracer I am not sure how to get hold of you to order these. Please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and are definetely looking to contribute. I will be for sure doing in some of the areas as I have had SAABs since 2002 and have learnt a lot on the way.
The current challenge I face is having to repair the sunroof of a 9-5 which has just broken the same clip as with yours.
As I cannot still send any privates, could somebody please send me one with the details for me to place an order of the clip?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Griffo

·
Registered
14 Posts
As promised.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUtVlHGm_U

For all the non-portuguese fans, i translated the video... see the translations and let me know if everything is ok....

:-D
Great video Galvas!! Obrigado!!
I would like to get a clip but not sure Aeroracer is still making them and I have posted him a message without success. Do you have his contact details?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts