SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a problem with the Drivers side sun visor on a 1995 Saab 9000 CD. It will not stay in the up position but falls half way down. Have tried checking with local Saab breakers but they either have none in stock or the ones they have are the same as mine. Anybody found a way around this problem or found a supplier of replacement visors? (Main Saab dealer tells me no longer available new, I dred to think what the cost would be if it was) Seems a minor point but its really annoying to drive with the visor half down. Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sun visor replacement

I suggest........
Take the visor out completely, 'cos there are , I think, two sorts.
Then ask Neo Brothers if they have what you need, by 'phone, so you can discuss the correct replacement judged on what you have found.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Get a used one from someone in a left-hand drive country. They don't cost much to mail.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
There are parts suppliers still. Try and find one on the Internet. Even though there are two types, with or without illuminated mirror, either will fit. If yours is illuminated just tape over any exposed connector. If yours is not illuminated then an illuminated one will fit just cut off the connector on the visor if it won't tuck away somewhere.

These cannot be repaired. The internal foam collapses around the detent mechanism. That allows the whole mechanism to rotate inside the visor causing the droop.

Mind you, brand new replacement visors are pretty poor quality!

·
Registered
130 Posts
How to find

There are five on Fleabay right now.
For most Saab 9000 used parts, you must go to ........car parts/other car parts. It's probably cheaper for the seller to post in this section.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the same problem. The solution is:

1. Get fed up with banging your forehead against it.
2. Unbolt and discard.
3. When sun shines through windshield, make De Niro face.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sun visor repair

Hi, I was searching the forum for a possible repair method for my '94 9000 cs. As there was nothing much I attempted the repair myself, here is the process.

Remove visor and inspect for a lump midway along the top of the visor.

It can be seen here where the screw drive tip is.
I believe this lump maybe caused by the broken spring clip inside the visor.
Take a razor blade and make an incision on the seam of the visor about 15mm each side of the lump.

Once i decided what was wrong I set about finding something that would re apply force to this clip. I ended up with a wheel weight.
Which I modified as seen below

I then fitted this over the clip and glued the seem back together.

Both sides were done.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I bought the last two new sunvisors from Sweden. They cost an arm and a leg, twice as much as the last set. They break about every five years if used frequently. I am told these are no longer manufactured so if you find any buy them. Treat yours with appropriate respect!

The cause of the failure is correctly identified. Ingenious fix. Even if you find used parts at the wreckers they will also fail.

Although there are two styles: one with lighting and one without, either style will work in any 9000. If no light then leave the connector off. If yours is not wired for light then a lighted one won't light up. Physically the mounting points, size and shape were unchanged or the entire production run of the 9000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts