SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started to hear a rattle from the sun roof today and found the blind that pops up, has a problem. There are two arms on each side and one of them where it is fastened down is pulling up. When you go go close the sun roof, it catches and possibly could make for a bigger problem in the future.
Has anyone run into this problem and how to fix it? I have included pictures of the passenger side where the problem is and the good side on the driver side, just to show how it should be.
thanks

First the bad side.

In the first picture it is hard to see, but the base that is supposed to hold the arm down is twisting towards the front of the car.

Now the good side.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm looking for a fix on this, too.

I know you can remove the wind deflector, but apparently it is needed as wind is terrible without it.

New one is costly.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Those little plastic clips are not sold separately, if you buy from Saab you will need to buy the entire sunroof wind deflector assembly which is expensive.

My son's 99 we got fed up with trying to find the clips and just took off the wind deflector. The wind noise is really not that bad. You have to put something in behind the spring-loaded hinges to keep them down and out of the way of the sunroof (a cut-off wood pencil works well)

My 03 just cracked the passenger side clip last week, so I'm in for the same game.

BTW, I've tried to buy just the side supports from dismantlers but they tell me that the cost to take the damned thing out is so high that I'm not willing to pay. I've been looking occasionally at the local pick-and-pull to see if they have any Saabs, but no luck so far.

And finally, someone reported a while back that they found the clips sold separately in the 9-3 catalog but when I asked about it I never heard for sure. I'd reallylike to find a way to fix this, but it looks like I'm just going for the no wind deflector route.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
And finally, someone reported a while back that they found the clips sold separately in the 9-3 catalog but when I asked about it I never heard for sure. I'd reallylike to find a way to fix this, but it looks like I'm just going for the no wind deflector route.
I thought I saw posted once (can't find in search) that someone just glued those tabs (pointed out in the above pics) in with a strong epoxy. Is that what you mean by "clips" from the 9-3?

I'm afraid to open mine. It had been making a clicking noise when opening and closing and I noticed one of the clips/tabs was sticking up a bit.

Last I closed it there a big "pop" (I assume the clip/tab) and now there is a rattle up there.

Anybody know the deal if you open if these clips/tabs popped out? Will it get stuck opening? Won't close?

I'm thinking for now I'll just remove the who deflector assembly if it is not possible to glue those clips/tabs back in place.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
if you get the big pop when closing or opening, the clip got stuck in the sunroof and it's now a bunch of pieces. That's what happened to my Son's '99. I'm afraid to open mine right now since I know I have one that is pretty much broken.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This car belonged to a friend before I got it and I glued it with supper glue at that time and it has been fine for about 3 years. I may just try the epoxy way. There is so much torque on the arms that this is what is pulling the plastic clip away from the sun roof. I will disconnect the wind deflector and glue it up, then put it back together after the epoxy is hard. What a pain though that it has been raining so much lately. I will show pictures of what I come up with in the end.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
why not just remove it and get an aftermarket wind deflector? I had one from my old 900 im gonna put on eventually. mine works fine for now so no need for the deflector yet

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not just remove it and get an aftermarket wind deflector? I had one from my old 900 im gonna put on eventually. mine works fine for now so no need for the deflector yet
I don't think the 95 would look good with a C900 wind deflector. I have one for my spg, but still don't think it would look right. I would rather take the thing right off.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
:lol: same reason why is till havnt put mine on, lol. i have a lower profile one that looks decent but still i agree it doesnt look quite right
I don't think the 95 would look good with a C900 wind deflector. I have one for my spg, but still don't think it would look right. I would rather take the thing right off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For those that had their plastic tabs break off which are used to lift up/down the wind deflector, what I did was use a small zip tie and threaded through the hole in the arm and remaining wind deflector tab. Been working for a couple of years without issue.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
For those that had their plastic tabs break off which are used to lift up/down the wind deflector, what I did was use a small zip tie and threaded through the hole in the arm and remaining wind deflector tab. Been working for a couple of years without issue.
Can you take a pic?

I'm trying to picture this in my mind, and don't want to open my sunroof until I know I have a fix since the tab popped out.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of what I was trying to describe.
Thanks! This fixes the problem with the broken tabs/clips further down the arms as pointed out in the pics that started this thread?

If so, it's a great and easy fix!

Now all I have to do is worry about opening mine and it not getting stuck.

I'm hoping it will open with at least one tab/clip making a quite loud popping noise last time I closed it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks! This fixes the problem with the broken tabs/clips further down the arms as pointed out in the pics that started this thread?

If so, it's a great and easy fix!

Now all I have to do is worry about opening mine and it not getting stuck.

I'm hoping it will open with at least one tab/clip making a quite loud popping noise last time I closed it.
Yes, just make sure to slowly open the sunroof. Should not be a problem when you open it. It is as you said, closing the deflector will catch and make a horrible sound. Be sure when you use the zip tie to make sure the end you cut off after you zip it tight doesn't point up towards the glass. Or you will hear it scraping the sunroof when it is slid closed. You would think Saab would have used metal to attach this arm. I have had this happen to me twice. Once under warranty and the current one in the pictures out of warranty. Couldn't believe that you have to purchase the whole wind deflector just to get one tab replaced. :evil:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, just make sure to slowly open the sunroof. Should not be a problem when you open it. It is as you said, closing the deflector will catch and make a horrible sound. Be sure when you use the zip tie to make sure the end you cut off after you zip it tight doesn't point up towards the glass. Or you will hear it scraping the sunroof when it is slid closed. You would think Saab would have used metal to attach this arm. I have had this happen to me twice. Once under warranty and the current one in the pictures out of warranty. Couldn't believe that you have to purchase the whole wind deflector just to get one tab replaced. :evil:
This is not the fix that I was needing. You are pointing out the opposite end of the wind deflector. It is where the arm attaches to the sun roof body not at the deflector.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This is not the fix that I was needing. You are pointing out the opposite end of the wind deflector. It is where the arm attaches to the sun roof body not at the deflector.
That's what I thought. The fix I need is the same and the one in the pics you started the thread with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am sorry if I confused people with my solution. Just thought it would help for those that needed it. I would assume for this need, you will need epoxy to help strengthen the area that is cracking and separating and use a small clamp to put the parts back together again. Or maybe use one or two small zip ties with epoxy to ensure the piece doesn't separate again? Sorry to possibly hijack your thread.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry if I confused people with my solution. Just thought it would help for those that needed it. I would assume for this need, you will need epoxy to help strengthen the area that is cracking and separating and use a small clamp to put the parts back together again. Or maybe use one or two small zip ties with epoxy to ensure the piece doesn't separate again? Sorry to possibly hijack your thread.
No problem, you didn't do anything wrong at all, We just need a fix for the opposite end of the arm. Your fix will come in handy for those who chime in on a later date, looking for a fix, possibly like yours.;ol;

1 - 18 of 18 Posts