SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have kept my 2004 SAAB 9.3 ARC convertible running for 173K, and have hoped for a few more. The 9.3 recently has developed a sudden strong engine vibration. You can feel it in the steering wheel, and the whole car shakes. In park, drive, reverse...vibration in all. Least annoying at about 60 MPH on highway. No power loss, no overheating, Engine light not on...no codes come up. My thoughts went to vacuum hose, exhaust leak, engine mount...my SAAB mechanic came up empty. If it is internal...bearing , timing chain issue, it would be fatal, but hoping it is a simpler overlooked fix...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the problem seems to be staying the same...no better, no worse...is there any easy way to ck the the vacuum system for leaks or pressure loss?

·
Super Moderator
18,915 Posts
Sudden strong vibrations typically means balance chain guide has snapped. Replace tensioner and guide. It's up in the how to sticky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sudden strong vibrations typically means balance chain guide has snapped. Replace tensioner and guide. It's up in the how to sticky.
you can get to and replace the timing chain tensioner, but the guide requires the pulling the cover and is a pricey repair...is this correct?

·
Super Moderator
18,915 Posts
Unless you do it yourself, yes.

·
Super Moderator
18,915 Posts
Also, you typically hear the chain slapping, like a little tick but not every rotation so it will sound like tick tick....tick....tick tick....tick...........tick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts