SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, a slight hesitation at start up. Then after selecting drive and pulling away it bogged a bit like an old cold carbureted car would. Was fine for about a block, then started to really hesitate very low on power. Then idles normally with intermittent bogging but, never shuts off.
Please any ideas?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Did the air intake hose on the throttle body fall off?
+1. A similar thing happened to me once. The car would start and idle OK, but then giving it any gas would cause the car to bog down and buck like crazy. Had no power; felt like it was gonna die. Turns out I had forgotten to re-connect the rubber hose that connects to the bottom of the plastic intake hose (the one that runs to the top of the TB). A similar effect would be experienced if the hose popped off the top of the throttle body.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the air intake hose on the throttle body fall off?
I don’t believe so. I had a Swedish auto mechanic look at it. He said the rear D I Cassette needed replacing. However, I will give this a look tomorrow. I have a day off tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1. A similar thing happened to me once. The car would start and idle OK, but then giving it any gas would cause the car to bog down and buck like crazy. Had no power; felt like it was gonna die. Turns out I had forgotten to re-connect the rubber hose that connects to the bottom of the plastic intake hose (the one that runs to the top of the TB). A similar effect would be experienced if the hose popped off the top of the throttle body.
I will look out for this, this would be a relief compared to purchasing a new OEM Direct Ignition Cassette. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a good look today. I did not find any loose hoses anywhere. Checked all around the air intake and throttle body.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to be sure, I am asking for my (wallet) Direct Ignition Cassette, only purchase OEM Saab? No other brands will do? NGK, Bosch,etc,. Also if I disconnect the negative battery cable will I need a code for the radio?
Thank in advance

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Just to be sure, I am asking for my (wallet) Direct Ignition Cassette, only purchase OEM Saab? No other brands will do? NGK, Bosch,etc,. Also if I disconnect the negative battery cable will I need a code for the radio?
Thank in advance
NGK = OEM. All others (besides genuine Saab/SEM of course) are junk.

In theory the radio will be fine. I’ve heard a few cases on here where the radio becomes “un-married” after disconnecting the battery, but I don’t think it’s a common issue. The only fix is to re-marry with a tech 2. There’s no code.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are you sure that NGK is original supplier? For 4 cyl. it is SEM from Sweden, not NGK. NGK supplies spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Are you sure that NGK is original supplier? For 4 cyl. it is SEM from Sweden, not NGK. NGK supplies spark plugs.
Quick history lesson on what happened....
Back in 2015 NGK acquired Wells Automotive (most commonly known as Airtex/Wells).
The Wells Automotive business was and is operated in 2 sectors. One as a Manufacturer and the other as a Supplier.
SEM is an OEM only company with no reach within the aftermarket space, so they supplied Wells with their DIC's and Wells sold them to the aftermarket Saab world.
Well, NGK wanted to expand their business. So they acquired the Wells side of Airtex/Wells which was focused on vehicle ignition systems including Ignition Coils, Coil packs, Coil on plug, Ignition Control Modules, and Distributor Caps & Rotors. So it made sense for NGK to acquire Wells to expand their current portfolio and expand their global market presence.

So there you have it. NGK supplies SEM Ignition Cassettes for the aftermarket. There is ZERO difference between NGK and OEM except price and lifetime warranty if you get the DIC from eEuroparts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I pulled the Rear DIC today and changed the three spark plugs as well.
First finding,DIC is trashed. Also oil in the spark plug chamber. Also noticed the NGK a plugs I removed were gapped at .050??

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If there's oil in the plug chamber, then the valve cover gasket is worn out. Or the plug grommets/inner gasket. Might as well replace it. It's not expensive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Six new NGK (R) plugs and a new rear bank DIC OEM. Wagon is drivable and is the smoothest it’s ever been since being in my possession. Which is getting close to a month now. Still feel a little tiny hiccup at idle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts