SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a week after my $1777.77 car repair (new fuel pump, filter, line, tensioner pulley, #3 and 4 idler pulley, new belt, and an oil change for good measure), my car up and died on me today (again!!!!!)
Car is: 1999 9-5 2.3t. 94000 miles. The servicing above was done last week by a very reputable indy.

Symptoms: Crusing along at 70mph, all of a sudden no power, CEL starts to blink, then oil light and the ! triangle come on, CEL then stays on all the time. There was just a sudden 'click' (describing the feeling not an actual noise) and the car lost power. Turns over but does not catch at all. No running rough, or anything, it just died. Only symptom up to that point was 2 days ago it was really rough to start, took 3 tries before it caught and then required a good stomp on the gas peddle to stay on.

I doubt its throttle body (had that happen on my other car so I know what that feels like), so I am guessing maybe CPS or O2 sensor, or .... Ideas?? Car got towed to mechanic. So we'll see what they say on Monday, just trying to understand what happened...

Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn didn't think of that... you're right!! and here I was thinking I should really get a spare...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same thing happened to me at about the same speed. DI replaced and started ok. Only problem was that the fuel pumped into the cat (while still turning over at 70, but not burning) destroyed the cat.

Only good thing about it was that it was an ideal oportunity to fit a 3inch stainless system and upgrade at the same time. (Abbott Racing did me a good deal). Goes quite well now. :lol:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Same thing happend to me last week, just after I acclerated onto the high way the car started to die on me and I had no idea what was wrong. The engine light was blinking on and off and the battery light I believe. I had just had the di cassete and spark plugs replaced a month ago and thought it was the same thing. The car is in the shop as I speak and saab says that its not getting any compression. They're still waiting to get the ok to open up the engine to figure it out. It's "internal" damage they say.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spark plugs were new about 2 months. DIC probably is the original one. Well its at the mechanic who will look at it on Monday.

Sigh.. ebay here I come for spare DIC's, 1 for 4 cylinder and 2 for V6....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
fusionrx said:
Spark plugs were new about 2 months. DIC probably is the original one. Well its at the mechanic who will look at it on Monday.

Sigh.. ebay here I come for spare DIC's, 1 for 4 cylinder and 2 for V6....
Depending on your car, your DIC may fall under the recall. Call a Saab dealer and have them run your VIN # to check.

The oil light coming on is a little concerning if you ask me, but it's worth a shot.

The CEL code will also give us a lot of information about your problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Breau said:
Same thing happend to me last week, just after I acclerated onto the high way the car started to die on me and I had no idea what was wrong. The engine light was blinking on and off and the battery light I believe. I had just had the di cassete and spark plugs replaced a month ago and thought it was the same thing. The car is in the shop as I speak and saab says that its not getting any compression. They're still waiting to get the ok to open up the engine to figure it out. It's "internal" damage they say.
I've had the exactly same problem about two weeks ago. The blinking engine light just after accelerated onto the highway and then dies. It turns out the big intake pipe that goes to the throttle body was lose and came out. After the fix, I drove home perfectly fine.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Aw lucky, I wonder what is wrong with mine. They still don't know whats wrong but said it would be expensive since they might have to open up the engine. I have a warranty though so it should be less expensive.:cheesy:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Limp mode.

Loss of power after click meen that the computer after kind of problem activates "Limp home mode"-ie switch from electronic throttle to manual with limited power.
The CEL must generate error code and your dealer is able to find it with Tech2.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No catch on engine crank, will not start up at all. Indy confirms it the DIC thats shot... Might be warrantyable (DIC recall).

I had LHM on my 01 wagon when the TB software was not up to date and the voltage range was too tight. I know what it feels like, this was not it...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Alright, saab still has my wagon sitting outside the shop. They said that there is "internal" damage and it could be anything inside the engine. What they suggested I do is to get a new engine, which is rediculas. They charge $950 just to look in the engine. It happened just like I said above, the car died accelerating onto the highway at 70mph. It won't start up at all, saab said there is no compression. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or any other place around boston that you can recommend for me that can take a look at it.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sounds like its died, oil pump failure perhaps :confused:

Actually no compression could be rings :confused:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Damn, so would a new engine be the right chioce you think? The buy I bought the car from suggests this also.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Breau said:
Damn, so would a new engine be the right chioce you think? The buy I bought the car from suggests this also.
I think a rebuild with forged pistons and rods, a GT35 turbo with custom headers and downpipe, new cams, stiffer valve springs, removal of the balancing shafts, and a straight line intake system, rather than the funky bent up intake cobra we have now, and solid engine mounts... :eek:

Oh, and 50 sets of Hoosier racing slicks.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
fusionrx said:
No catch on engine crank, will not start up at all. Indy confirms it the DIC thats shot... Might be warrantyable (DIC recall).
I don't believe that the 99 is covered. I think that it's only 00-02. And you don't have to eBay a DIC.... eeuroparts has plenty for about the same coin.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Breau said:
Any idea where I could find a used 2000 aero engine??
You mean a Saab 2.3L engine? The Aero engine's only difference is the turbo and the ecu.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Breau said:
yea you know what I mean same thing
Haha well not everyone knows that so I have to say it so they don't search for an "Aero Engine."

I really am not sure where you'd look for an entire engine... :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts