SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's pretty much it - new to me 2007 9-3 Aero SC had significantly gross headlights. My first time attempting this process so I was quite pleased with the outcome.

1. Washed Car
2. keeping everything damp, hand sanded w/ 800 grit. maybe 5-7 minutes each.
3. rinsed and transitioned to 1000 grit, 3-5 minutes.
4. rinsed and moved to 2000 grit, 3-5 minutes.
5. rinsed and began using cutting compound with orange hex-pad and car buffer (had to get the interior corners by hand to avoid polishing of bumper paint). wiped off excess with clean micro-fiber cloth. about 4 minutes each at the most.
5. transitioned to polishing compound and white hex-pad.
5. rinsed and wiped everything clean and applied regular car wax to the surface.

Great success! (Borat voice)

Sorry for the huge pics! I'll get that figured out soon :)

Before:

After:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Big improvement! Have you had a chance to notice a difference in light output? Are you going to put any UV protectant coating on them to prevent yellowing in the future?

Mine are only just starting to yellow on me, but I need to clean the inside of the projector lenses. It should give me a bit better light, I'm disappointed by my headlight output right now with the stock halogen system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those look great! I probably *should* invest in something proper to protect the lens and save future me some work. I did see one gentleman who used Helmsman clear urethane cut with 50% mineral spirits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I did notice a difference in the light output. it seemed poor to begin with, and now seems normal. One of my headlights output is brilliant white and the other is slightly more yellowish. Both seem to have the big rounded lamp, but I haven't really done any investigation into that yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,238 Posts
Those look great! I probably *should* invest in something proper to protect the lens and save future me some work. I did see one gentleman who used Helmsman clear urethane cut with 50% mineral spirits.
If you really want to NEVER do this again, you need to buy WeatherTech LampGard film

·
Super Moderator
18,915 Posts
I just hit them with Megs M105 and a 3" orange pad on my PC polisher once every few months.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Ha no actually. But I swear lampgard is so easy. It's a wet application. Nothing like applying vinyl in my opinion

Lampgard....

How does it apply to the lens?
I have talked to some who said these type of products yellow or cloud over time also and and the adhesive used was a dog to remove.

·
Super Moderator
9,238 Posts
Lampgard....

How does it apply to the lens?
I have talked to some who said these type of products yellow or cloud over time also and and the adhesive used was a dog to remove.
Wet application. Clean headlight. Spray down with mix of rubbing alcohol/water. Peel backing paper from lampgard. Press into place and use a hair dryer or heat gun to help conform to curves, squeegee water out.

No, this stuff does not yellow or cloud, EVER. That's why I use it. It's ridiculously thick too, probably almost 1/8" thick. Does not affect beam pattern. I have removed it before (before baking my headlights for internal modification) and it comes off easily with heat. No adhesive residue.

Literally no downside.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Wet application. Clean headlight. Spray down with mix of rubbing alcohol/water. Peel backing paper from lampgard. Press into place and use a hair dryer or heat gun to help conform to curves, squeegee water out.

No, this stuff does not yellow or cloud, EVER. That's why I use it. It's ridiculously thick too, probably almost 1/8" thick. Does not affect beam pattern. I have removed it before (before baking my headlights for internal modification) and it comes off easily with heat. No adhesive residue.

Literally no downside.
How long has it been on your lenses?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
5 years on my 2.0T, 4 years on my Aero, going on 5. Lenses look as new as they did when I applied the LampGard
Thanks, that's impressive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts