SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to start; an ‘08 with 105K miles and runs beautifully...!

Today i swapped my summer wheels/tires for the winter package and noticed corrosion on the subframe. i started to wonder if buying a used one refinishing, re-bushing it, and replacing the original is worth it or feasible. Then the idea would be to refinish and re-bush the original and sell it. The rest of the car has been treated and is rust free...
any thoughts? I just had a look at GoldwingSAAB’s website and the only ones for sale were 9-3 subframes so obviously i’d have to search elsewhere...
regards
s

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
They are heavy so the shipping cost is going to be large. Unless you're really trying to minimize downtime it's going to be far cheaper to take the subframe out, get it blasted and painted and then put it back. (even if you can get the same price for the original as you paid for the replacement)

and corrosion on the subframe is really not going to be an issue, it's not thin and would take a LOT of time to corrode. I'd just brush it with a wire brush and paint it with a brush and be done with it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on UM. i will revisit this in the spring and not worry about it for now..thank you

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
If it does not have rot holes or rust cancer I would just clean it up with a twisted wire wheel and repaint it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts