SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo I went and saw Brain up in VT at the end of April and got his Stage 0 tune. Everything was working great, and I loved the tune it was such a wake up, but it only lasted for about two days...then the stuttering/hesitation happened when I would get on the throttle and my boost would go into the red. The car was fine up to the very mark between the green and red which is stock psi. but anything after that it would stutter :cry: So I called up Brain and he suggested that I re-gap my plugs down between 0.8 - 0.85mm, and so I did and it seemed to work for 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, but in 4th gear it would stutter. So I decided to get a step colder plugs and put them in as they came out of the box but did check that they were 0.9mm on all four. Now in 3rd gear pull it would stutter. I then re-gapped them down to 0.8mm and it seemed to not really help much. After talking to Brain again he suggested that I might have a coil pack that has gone bad. I took my car to an authorized saab shop and they used the Tech II but couldn't tell which cylinder was misfiring, so they cleared my misfires and I drove around for a bit and came back to the shop to have them use the Tech II again. The technician came to me with a piece of paper reading: MISFIRES cylinder 1 - 38 cylinder 2- 44 cylinder 3- 34 cylinder 4- 34 and KNOCK cylinder 1- 91 cylinder 2- 182 cylinder 3- 147 cylinder 4- 53. So we decided cylinder 2 was the worst one but it seemed all of them were bad i guess. I didn't want to spend a lot on the coils because of a low budget right now so I went with rockauto.com and got 2 new coils. Installed one on cylinder 2 and my car was back! I decided to still replace another one for now and just replace all when I can in the near future to ensure no problems. So I also change cylinder 1 and it worked great again, held boost fine all the way to 6k rpm :cheesy: But of course my car started to stutter again after a day or so :evil: Yesterday I finally got 2 more coils from rockauto.com and installed them in cylinder 3 and 4. Drove a round to get the car warm and got on 2nd a bit to go into the red on boost and it somewhat hesitated :roll: It would still stutter a little but not as bad. Then I completely forgot that I should clean my MAF sensor haha So I went to advanced auto and picked up some cleaner from CRC and also cleaned my K&N drop in filter. Went to go test it out again and it still hesitated/stutter some. I had no clue what else I could do so I took out all the coils and the plugs and made sure the gap was good on all four and they were all pretty good only one was at .9mm so I gapped them all to .8mm or so and put them back in along with switch the coils from cylinder 1 and 2 with cylinders 3 and 4 just for ****s and giggles. Went for another test drive and still hesitated :confused: I have no clue what the problem is here....anyone have some info on what might be the issue??? I called Brain just now but no answer seeing how it is the weekend I wouldn't expect him to answer and probably not until tuesday as monday is a holiday, sooo if anyone could chime in to help me out before I go crazy I'd be great appreciated!!!!;ol;

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm going to throw out the "Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10min to let the ECU relearn?". I know when I went to JW Stg4 after installing everything doing this made the car better at idle and hard runs. Also have you changed the Boost Control Solenoid?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sooo I went and saw Brain up in VT at the end of April and got his Stage 0 tune. Everything was working great, and I loved the tune it was such a wake up, but it only lasted for about two days...then the stuttering/hesitation happened when I would get on the throttle and my boost would go into the red. The car was fine up to the very mark between the green and red which is stock psi. but anything after that it would stutter :cry: So I called up Brain and he suggested that I re-gap my plugs down between 0.8 - 0.85mm, and so I did and it seemed to work for 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, but in 4th gear it would stutter. So I decided to get a step colder plugs and put them in as they came out of the box but did check that they were 0.9mm on all four. Now in 3rd gear pull it would stutter. I then re-gapped them down to 0.8mm and it seemed to not really help much. After talking to Brain again he suggested that I might have a coil pack that has gone bad. I took my car to an authorized saab shop and they used the Tech II but couldn't tell which cylinder was misfiring, so they cleared my misfires and I drove around for a bit and came back to the shop to have them use the Tech II again. The technician came to me with a piece of paper reading: MISFIRES cylinder 1 - 38 cylinder 2- 44 cylinder 3- 34 cylinder 4- 34 and KNOCK cylinder 1- 91 cylinder 2- 182 cylinder 3- 147 cylinder 4- 53. So we decided cylinder 2 was the worst one but it seemed all of them were bad i guess. I didn't want to spend a lot on the coils because of a low budget right now so I went with rockauto.com and got 2 new coils. Installed one on cylinder 2 and my car was back! I decided to still replace another one for now and just replace all when I can in the near future to ensure no problems. So I also change cylinder 1 and it worked great again, held boost fine all the way to 6k rpm :cheesy: But of course my car started to stutter again after a day or so :evil: Yesterday I finally got 2 more coils from rockauto.com and installed them in cylinder 3 and 4. Drove a round to get the car warm and got on 2nd a bit to go into the red on boost and it somewhat hesitated :roll: It would still stutter a little but not as bad. Then I completely forgot that I should clean my MAF sensor haha So I went to advanced auto and picked up some cleaner from CRC and also cleaned my K&N drop in filter. Went to go test it out again and it still hesitated/stutter some. I had no clue what else I could do so I took out all the coils and the plugs and made sure the gap was good on all four and they were all pretty good only one was at .9mm so I gapped them all to .8mm or so and put them back in along with switch the coils from cylinder 1 and 2 with cylinders 3 and 4 just for ****s and giggles. Went for another test drive and still hesitated :confused: I have no clue what the problem is here....anyone have some info on what might be the issue??? I called Brain just now but no answer seeing how it is the weekend I wouldn't expect him to answer and probably not until tuesday as monday is a holiday, sooo if anyone could chime in to help me out before I go crazy I'd be great appreciated!!!!;ol;
Check for a vacuum leak. the fact that it is missfiring on ALL cylinders (although not equally) leads to that. Do you know what code the guy with Tech 2 cleared? The P0300 (random missfire) is usually associated with a vacuum leak or a fuel system issue (injectors, fuel pump). Does it do this when you revert to stock? Oh and I hope you're using Premium...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What causes knocking? Low octane fuel?
usually, but not always. screwy fuel trims (running too rich or too lean) can also cause knock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I've disconnected the battery plenty of times and also pulled the F2 fuse in the engine bay as well and still nothing. I've been using 93 octane even before I had the tune. The tech didn't give me and codes as it didn't throw any CELs, it has only blinked for 5 seconds or so a few number of times but never stays. When I brought it to the saab shop the tech took a look for loose hoses, but I guess re-checking for a loose or cracked hose wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and I guess I should also add that I do have a SMBC installed on my car, but when I got the tune we data logged everything after and it was all good. Since the problem at just about every new add on of plugs, coil, etc. I kept the SMBC on and also took it out and still had the exact same problem. I also got the discount tune from Brain because I went to VT to see him so I do not have a handheld PPC to return to stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up re-checking the vacuum lines and hoses, but could not see anything lose or cracked...is there a way I can put a pressure test or something along those lines to better diagnose if that it the problem? I also cleaned my throttle body yesterday as it was a little dirty ha. The car seems to idle great, runs super smooth with great throttle response now....yet it still will stutter. I can ease into my boost in most gears, except for 2nd because I just go through that gear way too quick now ha, and bring it to in between the green and red line on the turbo gauge thats factory on the car. I can then slowly bring it to the red with a minor hiccup or two with a very strong pull still. Although, I cannot get on the pedal too much or slam it to the floor still as it will automatically stutter the car :evil: I just want to be able to get on the throttle a bit more and really have this thing take off! half boost and then easing up to the stock boost pressure just isn't enough power/strong enough of a pull for me ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i know that this is an old thread, but if anyone else has this issue check the coils. I ended up replacing all of mine after tuning. For stock duty they worked fine, but for the extra boost they needed to be 100% and couldn't keep up for some reason.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I had the same issue but for me it was the wastegate control solenoid which was allowing the wastegate to open prematurely. $25 part so it was a nice solution.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles are on the car and plugs.

"Back in the day" a tune up meant points, plugs, condensor and rotor and cap about every 5.000 miles. :cheesy:

People seem today, to forget that plugs are a replacement/maintenance item.

Along with the gap change, Brian also recommended that I change plugs to the Denso Irridium. My mileage is also now better than Wifey's 2.0 XWD.

Juncura1, good point. My car came out of the dealer and they never mentioned a miss or bad coil. Brian caught it on his lap top and under "normal service" including a foot to the floor pass and such, the car never stuttered, with the additional "load" a tune demands, it will bring out the weak spots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts