SaabCentral Forums banner

381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to clear things up: an '03 'vert has B205 T7 motor. Check the 8th character of the VIN. If it's a "K", you have the 205 HP "HOT" motor. Otherwise it's 185HP in the USA. The only difference in the motors is the turbo and the tune.
Also, check out this post. It helped me when I as starting out into the world of modified Saabs ?
Yep, looks like I have the B205R HOT then, eighth character of the VIN is a K + the VIN decoder says I would've gotten 205 off the factory floor. You two have been great help -- thanks alot! Was a little intimidated by the dead-ness of this particular thread.

·
Registered
17,857 Posts
Was a little intimidated by the dead-ness of this particular thread.
Feel free to start new threads if you have specific questions about fixing your car. We're not like some forums that flame you for not posting to the end of an ancient eight year old thread with 500 posts. I won't discourage research but if you have any issues, start a thread with a specific subject to get the attention of the guys who might know about that area. It works best that way and everyone can focus on the issue you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My stupid question ...
I would like to make my tires SPIN when I punch it to the floor from a dead stop.... LOL ... (my other car, 1964 GTO, spoils me with its torque ... LOL)
Is this possible in my 2001 Saab 93? (add power someway ... to make the wheels spin) .... LOL

·
Registered
17,857 Posts
My stupid question ...
I would like to make my tires SPIN when I punch it to the floor from a dead stop.... LOL ... (my other car, 1964 GTO, spoils me with its torque ... LOL)
Is this possible in my 2001 Saab 93? (add power someway ... to make the wheels spin) .... LOL
You can add HP until the wheels spin to your delight. However, there are two issues. One is that only one tire will spin unless you add an LSD, which isn't cheap or easy. The other is that you're going to break axles/CV's and maybe other stuff if you make a habit of this. The stock auto drivetrain is good to about 400HP, and the stock manual probably over 600 HP, but only if you are careful NOT to spin the tires a lot - when they hook up, things snap.

Our usual plan around here is to work the suspension so that our front tires don't spin. That way you actually use the HP you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds good. Pretty much what I thought. Expensive (LSD) and other things will break if I push this car in the more HP direction.
I am currently working on the suspension ... and I think your right ... suspension, extra braces for stiffness, etc ... first thing.

Like I said ... I have a GTO ... LOL .. so, I can get all the torque and HP fun I need. The GTO will ONLY GO IN A STRAIGHT LINE ... turning this beast is a ***** (manual steering) and it starts to float at about 100mph.

The SAAB ... the opposite type of car. I LOVE the way it can stick to the ground and zip around.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
My stupid question ...
Cheap hard old tires well lubricated with Crisco will do this.

The problem is that even if you beef up the engine to create a lot of low-end torque (a GTO with a 389, and I assume some steep rear gear like 3:36:1 OR 3.55:1, has a lot of low end torque), you may well get wheel hop that will destroy things in short order. Wheel hop is bad for RWD cars with live axles; it's double-plus-ungood for FWD cars with independent suspension.

Actually, if you have a manual transmission, you can rev it to 5500 RPM and pop the clutch. The wheels will spin, but maybe only just the once.

TL;DR: burnouts are not the car's strrenth; you have a car that does awesome burnouts already, so work on the strengths of the Saab, not its weakensses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know that the stickied 'more power' thread is supposed to be the holy grail for performance information, but its formatting confuses me too much -- while I know that the B205R HOT motor has a Mitsubishi TD04-15T turbo with 5cm² exhaust housing, I'm not sure what can upgrade from that. Always tricky making sure you get fitting parts, and I'd want to make sure I've got the right-fitting turbo before I go rooting around and removing things to access the turbo.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

I recently saw on a forum somewhere (I thought it was here, but couldn't find it) a thread that was specifically for stupid questions.

I think it's a great idea, because I have heaps of stupid questions that I'm kinda scared to ask.

I've decided to start this thread (let me know if there's one already) to give everyone the opportunity to ask the stupid questions they've always been scared to ask.

I guess I better start...

My stupid question is - I was looking at my car (1999 9-3 S) yesterday and it suddenly looked to me like there is a slight camber to the rear wheels. Is it that I'm not level-headed or is that a standard thing that came with this model? I don't think the previous owners would have done that, so either I'm just looking at it weird, or it came standard. Does anyone know?
If your concerned about having camber on the rear tires. I'd recommend checking to see if your struts are starting to wear. I know Jegs sells camber plates which are really simple to install and adjust. A small bit of camber will show uneven wear pattern on your tires. Push on the rear of your car and see how easily you can make the body travel. If you can move the car really easy with hardly any effort is suggest replacing rear components. If you really want to know if it's a factory option. Call the Saab dealership and take to a tech in the parts department. They know almost every kind of question you will have. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the radio should be fine. i removed my battery cables and headunit when i installed some subs mine came on and worked fine(this was on a 2000 9-3). i kinda freaked out at first but cuase nothing happened when i turned the car on i didn't relize it wasn't on radio. but i have missing pixels and never know what it says anyway.

I have a stupid question. how do you read the oil stick It's almost oil change time again i just kinda guessed it was the top of the bubble on the bottom of the stick last time.
The squared section at the bottom of the dipstick represents one quart of oil .so if it's in the middle your half a quart shy and so on.if you were at the bottom most likely a quart low.

381 - 391 of 391 Posts