SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I make my ashtray stay closed? There doesn't look like anything is broken. Here's some pictures of what I have.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think you need to check the bit that clips into the metal tabs on the last pic. They hold the 'front' in and I think I had to tweak mine...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
G96nt said:
stop smoking!!! and get the Ashtray delete panel/cubby
That would be an improvement; Saab should never have made the ashtray standard , it should have been a $50 option ! And those cars, much as a house, are quite ruined by smokers - usually damage in the hundreds of $$$..in the car...thousands in the house...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my car when I was cleaning it... Just take the thing out and put it back in. I'm not sure sure how it happens, but it just doesn't aling properly all the time...

J

·
Registered
94 Posts
Man I feel happy. The car I have never had some one smoke in it 1997. I am the only Non Smoker in the family. All I have in The Ashtay is Coins MONEY. Hell YA.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G96nt said:
I never smoke in my car or my house. :nono; That's what the bar/pub is for. :cheesy: I don't like the "delete panel/cubby". The ashtray is better for me to keep things in. Like my dash cigarette lighter while I use the socket for power. I also keep extra fuses in there.

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
nocluetim said:
I can't be the only person on this board with this problem.
I'm sure you're not, but I think that StormCrow had the answer for you. If you look at the top of the ashtray door, you'll see that when it flips up and the shiny metal part is pushed down, there are a couple of tabs that poke into holes and keep the door from tilting out again. Something on yours is either bent or broken.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm starting to think this ashtray may not be the original one that came with my car. The shiny part with the tabs does not move. I can't find anything that looks like it should contact those two tabs either. Were there different versions of the ashtray in our cars?

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Nope, there was just the one version. Now that I look at your picture again, I almost think the metal part is rotated 180 degrees from how it should be. I think the curved section is supposed to face forward, and those two holes are what hook onto the ashtray's front. There should also be some springs that make it pop up a little when the ashtray is opened. Are your springs even there? If they're missing, that would explain a thing or two.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking at it in more depth I'm seeing that the shiny piece is not meant to move. Look at pick 5, you can see it's molded into the front cover. Pic 6 shows the stop.

Pic 5

Pic 6

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
You're right. That part on the ashtray is fixed, but you are missing a part. When you open the ashtray, there's supposed to be a second metal plate that flips up from the ashtray housing. I'm thinking that's the part that flips down and locks the front of the ashtray, but I'll double check on my own car tonight. You're probably going to have to replace the housing that the ashtray slides into. They show up on eBay from time to time, though. There's an ashtry on there now, but it doesn't include the housing.

edit: I just checked my ashtray, and yes, you are missing the upper metal flap. It flips down when the ashtray is closed and has two prongs that go into the metal piece on the ashtray itself to keep the door from flipping open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine does the same crap! push the ashtray about a quarter of an inch below from the word open. It probably won't make a click, but hold it there for at least a second. it should stay in place now. Hope this works:D

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeremy R. said:
You're right. That part on the ashtray is fixed, but you are missing a part. When you open the ashtray, there's supposed to be a second metal plate that flips up from the ashtray housing. I'm thinking that's the part that flips down and locks the front of the ashtray, but I'll double check on my own car tonight. You're probably going to have to replace the housing that the ashtray slides into. They show up on eBay from time to time, though. There's an ashtry on there now, but it doesn't include the housing.

edit: I just checked my ashtray, and yes, you are missing the upper metal flap. It flips down when the ashtray is closed and has two prongs that go into the metal piece on the ashtray itself to keep the door from flipping open.
Well... At least I know why it hangs open. Thanks for your input. I'll have to keep an eye open for a replacement housing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what the world needs now

what the world needs now ....is a whole lot of mind your own f*$#ing business. the op asked for help fixing something not a rant on your personal feelings on smoking

I am also looking for a fix to this problem and have a cubby that I removed to put in ashtray (which is a crap design)

If I figure out a fix I will post.

there used to be an attitude of not involving yourself in your neighbors business, but now with nazi like bs propaganda the norm for most 99.9% of media, every bonehead in the world wants to tell his neighbor what he can and can`t do or believe

so long as my neighbor does no harm to others then he can do or believe anything he pleases

thanks
Glen

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
what the world needs now ....is a whole lot of mind your own f*$#ing business. the op asked for help fixing something not a rant on your personal feelings on smoking

I am also looking for a fix to this problem and have a cubby that I removed to put in ashtray (which is a crap design)

If I figure out a fix I will post.

there used to be an attitude of not involving yourself in your neighbors business, but now with nazi like bs propaganda the norm for most 99.9% of media, every bonehead in the world wants to tell his neighbor what he can and can`t do or believe

so long as my neighbor does no harm to others then he can do or believe anything he pleases

thanks
Glen
To rant: To speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

Nice rant.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Not only that but you came on "teh interwebs" looking for help. So, be a BIG BOY and ignore something you read on "teh interwebs" that wasn't even addressed to you, take the info that was provided for free, and is worth at least that much. OR. Stay in your yard if you are that easily offended.

Also, *great job* on reviving yet another useless zombie post.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.