SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I need some help to determine what is going on with these rims. The rims are Voxx and came with summer tires mounted along with a OG 9-3, I recently purchased.

The problem: In the picture two lug nuts are seen. The left is 9-3 NG lug nut and one on right lug nuts are 12X1.5 on the OG (right), the one in question. I cannot put a socket to put these tires on the car. The OD of the tire lug whole is 22mm. The bolt takes a 17 mm socket. I have tried 4 differnt 17 mm sockets and all are above 23 mm OD, which will just not fit. Even the so called thin walled scokets are not less than 22 mm OD.

The guy I got the car from just took it to Discount tires to change his tires, so he is clueless and I am stumped. Any suggestions? Comments? I could call discount tires?

I am trying to use these rims with my 9-3NG but i am not sure if i have to toss the idea and just get some used 17 rims!

HAppy holidays !

Thanks (pics below)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,726 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am kinda of confused. Since these are lug nuts, i would need a stud to put them on. Do i have to make the bolts the new studs by threading from inside to out? and then use the lug nuts to mount them?

Sorry kinda of confused 😐

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Maybe? I'd suspect you can find bolts with a similar head construction, but I didn't look hard. You could also convert to studs. Point is, getting a conventional tool through that well is not going to work. You are going to need tuner lugs (and the appropriate tool), and the internal head ones are (IME) easier to use than the external head ones, but probably both with work.

Edit:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion. The tuner lug bolts looks promising. i might have to see if the tool is skninny enough to get the work done.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
That's why I prefer an internal tool, so you don't have to worry about clearance between the tool and the lug well. In several situations I've had tools that don't quite fit, which is incredibly annoying. On Saabs (and Audis...) where there are lug bolts instead of nuts, finding internally driven fasteners is hard, hence the conversion to studs.

My c900 suffers this exact scenario, so a few bucks to Prestige Wheel (
http://www.prestigewheel.com/Image2800.asp ) and no more struggles. :)

Edit: If you do convert to studs, MAKE SURE you get studs with a hex on top, and MAKE SURE you use a quality anti-seize ONLY on the threads that go into the hub. You don't want to end up in a situation where an accessory stud gets stuck in the in the hub. If you live in a place with rust, be sure you get closed-end lug nuts to help prevent them from becoming fused to the stud. Doing all this will require you to take some measurements - you need to be sure there is the correct amount of stud engaging the nut... not too much (that's a loose wheel...) and not too little (that's a safety hazard). Rule of thumb is 2x the diameter of the stud, so your stud needs to be 24mm + the thickness of the wheel at the bottom of the acorn. Your nut needs to have 24mm of depth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts