SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
as andy just spotted on the video (and doug suggested earlier to look for), if the tachometer does not move on cranking your current start problem is highly likely to be caused by a faulty CPS. if your car cooled down overnight it can also explain why it was starting the next morning. and the other fault behavior you listed in the previous days can be caused by it (even if not a typical pattern of gradual malfunctioning). each time you went to get fuel in a jerrycan, or your fuel filter, etc... the engine would have cooled and made it easier to start with a faulty CPS.

if possible try and get a bosch CPS
Awesome! Yes I ordered a Bosch CPS to a local Autozone which is $30 more expensive than they sell it on Eeuroparts so I am going to ask them to price match but if not it comes with a lifetime warranty so I guess that is the price I have to pay for having a Saab in the United States.

·
Registered
413 Posts
esaabparts.com or fcpeuro would probably be able to overnight you the part for that $30 price hike, just fyi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I drove out to a Mountain Cabin to vacation with my family and my 2003 Saab 95 wont start. I replaced the fuel filter at a gas station with a filter from Auto zone which helped it start multiple times and get me here but now it wont start again and I am 2 hours in the middle of nowhere. I am thinking about ordering a fuel pump and doing the job here at our cabin but I have no tools with me.
Can someone tell me what tools and what is a place I can get a new Fuel pump fast becasue Autozone says they can get me one but its not OEM should I go for it or should I just order an OEM one and get it delivered to somewhere I can pick it up with my brothers car luckily he is here TGfor family. .Also Autozone's scan tool would not work for my car and neither would Advanced Auto I have had trouble with Autozone in the passed but some Autozones can do it and some can not. What is a good scan tool I can buy for myself that will work 100% for my Saab?
2003 Saab 95 Linear 2.3t 215,000 Miles on it Manual standard transmission.

Thanks guys I could really use some quick responses and tips to successfully and most easily replace this fuel pump.

Below is the story of what the Saab is doing.

2 weeks ago I went to mechanic and got the A/C recharged turned out someone took out the Fuze to the air conditioner so we replaced that and now the A/C works.
Around this same time 2 weeks ago I started hearing a humm noises when I accelerate and the turbo engages like one of the hoses to the vacuum system popped off but I couldn't find which hose it was so I was driving like that for a week or so until I did an oil change and finally found the hose and reinstalled it.
So 2 days ago I'm thinking everything is good now and driving home when I noticed my car kinda jolted like it was loosing fuel for a quick second like a millisecond. I thought it might be related to the A/C being on so I turned it off and started diving without it I do not remember ever feeling the jolt happen with the A/C off but it could be unrelated because today I was pulling off the highway and the engine shut off when I came to a complete stop at a red light and the A/C was off at this time. Officially this was the first time I experienced the car not starting for me.
I pushed the car to the side of the road and ran to a gas station and got a can and some premium unleaded and ran back, I wasnt sure if the gauge was broke and was giving me a false reading. The extra fuel didnt work so I decided to hit the fuel filter with a wrench a few times and then it started up again hesitantly to get me to Autozone where I bought the new fuel filter and then shortly after I stopped to get gas and the car wouldnt start again so I changed the filter at the gas station which helped the car enough to then drive back to Autozone and turn off to do a scan test and then start to drive to Advanced and stop to do the Scan tool and then start again and drive with zero issues until I reached my neighbors cabin which I thought was mine and now it wont start and is stuck in my neighbors driveway.
Just another challenge! I cant wait to fix this who is with me!
Gotta Love it!
This is what it is all about!
It is Time!

Thanks and please don't hesitate to send me advice and tips and love.
Saab guy named Joshua
SAAB Life
Success to everybody who helped me in my time of need! I am Happy to inform you that the Crankshaft Position Sensor was the answer to my SAABs problems today so it seems.
I picked up a Bosch Crank Positioning Sensor today and installed it and the Saab started up and warmed up fine and then I took it on a 30 minute drive today with zero hiccups whatsoever!
A new problem I found today is that the Manifold connection to the down pipe has an exhaust leak which I can hear especially when the pipes are cold but when they heat up they seem to close up the gap a bit..but it still lets some extra hot air out which is getting released right by the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor which could have been the reason why the old one went bad.?
Next thing I have to do is close up that exhaust leak whats the procedure on that?

Thanks again everybody for helping me I am able to enjoy the rest of my vacation with my family now!
P.S. I also bought a completely built fuel pump unit that I will leave in my trunk for long trips in the future just in case I start having problems down the road since the origional one in there has over 200,000 miles on it.
I will be driving it around tomorrow to make sure it is still running good to confirm it is fixed and that today wasnt just a lucky day for the saab.

Thanks

Joshua 2003 SAAB 95

·
Registered
413 Posts
I will keep this in mind for the future though.
Thank You!
I'll keep in mind that the autozone was willing to price-match the online price! Glad you got it sorted.

As far as the exhaust leak, the prolonged heat during your road trip could play a part, but it's also possible that the part was just tired after all this time. I had to replace mine in my 2006 last year and it failed just all of a sudden. No particular rhyme or reason, no oil leaks that accumulated on it, no exhaust leaks, etc. Just failed. I asked my mechanic about it (I fixed it myself since it was at my house) and he said sometimes they just go. If mine weren't relatively new, I might consider buying a Bosch and sticking it in the car on long road trips much like I do a DIC.

I'm glad you got it sorted on your vacation. A few years ago our family drove our nissan minivan from STL to Daytona. On the way back through Georgia, the van lost power on every uphill until it got to the point where I was literally having to get the thing up to 90 on a preceding downhill just to make it up the next uphill. In this case, it was the camshaft position sensor that failed, on a sunday, in the middle of Nowhere, GA. I managed to limp it off the highway to a closed NAPA where I pulled the codes (my code reader), then to the next town over to an Advanced Auto Parts where I bought BOTH sensors. Ended up doing the work in the Dairy Queen parking lot after 2 hour thunderstorm downburst. Then we were back on our way. Thankfully I long ago decided to never travel without the small toolbox.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I'll bet you a dollar that if you have an exhaust leak at the manifold-to-head junction that you have one or more broken studs. A common problem that is made worse by bad motor mounts that cause too much stress on the bolts.

they're not horribly difficult to get out, you'll need a right angle drill adapter and a way to get the drill centered on the bolts. I have found that there is almost always enough thread to lightly put a new bolt in there so I drilled a hole in the center of a stud with my drill press and use that as a guide to get the first hole started. Then an Easy-out will do the trick.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I'll bet you a dollar that if you have an exhaust leak at the manifold-to-head junction that you have one or more broken studs. A common problem that is made worse by bad motor mounts that cause too much stress on the bolts.

they're not horribly difficult to get out, you'll need a right angle drill adapter and a way to get the drill centered on the bolts. I have found that there is almost always enough thread to lightly put a new bolt in there so I drilled a hole in the center of a stud with my drill press and use that as a guide to get the first hole started. Then an Easy-out will do the trick.
I have had that manifold issue in the past but this one is the Turbo Gasket right after the manifold, there is a broken stud and the gasket is broken in half and starting to protrude so I can see it. One of the 4 studs is broken here also. I have had my manifold gasket replaced and the broken studs drilled out which costed an arm and a leg to have the mechanic do he also rebuilt my turbo 3 years ago so I am surprised the gasket is broken already assuming that he installed a new gasket. He never mentioned to me about the engine mounts causing the problem with the manifold studs so I will look myself and see about addressing the issue with the mounts.

Thanks,
Joshua

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before you start throwing parts at it, is the fuel actually pump dead? Lift back seat - pump is under the circular cover. No need to remove the cover at this stage. When the key is first turned to ON the pump should run briefly to pressurise the supply.

The crankshaft position sensor can prevent a start although the usual symptom is difficulty starting when the engine's hot. When you crank it over, does the rev counter react?

Check the connector is secure to the DIC. I know of one car where it somehow worked loose.
I got a 2004 and the fuel pump went out on me and i put a cheap aftermarket one on that worked for a few miles then went out so i got an oem and put it on with a new filter and later on had to put a new cps on cause it would get hot and die, also tried a cheap DIC and ended up replacing that with an oem NGK with NGK plugs and been runnibg goid everv
since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Saab Family,

I'm reading these 28 posts in absolute disbelief.

YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!!!

No other way to say it.

Having been where Josh is (my Saab was stuck in the middle of Chicago - no clue where to go - you guys got me to the right shop)...I just want to say thanks! It's a great feeling to have a lifeline like you guys out there.

You are all just incredible!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove out to a Mountain Cabin to vacation with my family and my 2003 Saab 95 wont start. I replaced the fuel filter at a gas station with a filter from Auto zone which helped it start multiple times and get me here but now it wont start again and I am 2 hours in the middle of nowhere. I am thinking about ordering a fuel pump and doing the job here at our cabin but I have no tools with me.
Can someone tell me what tools and what is a place I can get a new Fuel pump fast becasue Autozone says they can get me one but its not OEM should I go for it or should I just order an OEM one and get it delivered to somewhere I can pick it up with my brothers car luckily he is here TGfor family. .Also Autozone's scan tool would not work for my car and neither would Advanced Auto I have had trouble with Autozone in the passed but some Autozones can do it and some can not. What is a good scan tool I can buy for myself that will work 100% for my Saab?
2003 Saab 95 Linear 2.3t 215,000 Miles on it Manual standard transmission.

Thanks guys I could really use some quick responses and tips to successfully and most easily replace this fuel pump.

Below is the story of what the Saab is doing.

2 weeks ago I went to mechanic and got the A/C recharged turned out someone took out the Fuze to the air conditioner so we replaced that and now the A/C works.
Around this same time 2 weeks ago I started hearing a humm noises when I accelerate and the turbo engages like one of the hoses to the vacuum system popped off but I couldn't find which hose it was so I was driving like that for a week or so until I did an oil change and finally found the hose and reinstalled it.
So 2 days ago I'm thinking everything is good now and driving home when I noticed my car kinda jolted like it was loosing fuel for a quick second like a millisecond. I thought it might be related to the A/C being on so I turned it off and started diving without it I do not remember ever feeling the jolt happen with the A/C off but it could be unrelated because today I was pulling off the highway and the engine shut off when I came to a complete stop at a red light and the A/C was off at this time. Officially this was the first time I experienced the car not starting for me.
I pushed the car to the side of the road and ran to a gas station and got a can and some premium unleaded and ran back, I wasnt sure if the gauge was broke and was giving me a false reading. The extra fuel didnt work so I decided to hit the fuel filter with a wrench a few times and then it started up again hesitantly to get me to Autozone where I bought the new fuel filter and then shortly after I stopped to get gas and the car wouldnt start again so I changed the filter at the gas station which helped the car enough to then drive back to Autozone and turn off to do a scan test and then start to drive to Advanced and stop to do the Scan tool and then start again and drive with zero issues until I reached my neighbors cabin which I thought was mine and now it wont start and is stuck in my neighbors driveway.
Just another challenge! I cant wait to fix this who is with me!
Gotta Love it!
This is what it is all about!
It is Time!

Thanks and please don't hesitate to send me advice and tips and love.
Saab guy named Joshua
SAAB Life
It is almost certainly a crankshaft sensor. I’ve had an intermittent stop start and hesitation when driving on my 9-5. Replaced the sensor. No further problems after that.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great thread - great resolution. I hadn't heard about this particular mode of failure by the CPS, thought it primarily misbehaved when hot.

You mentioned you had a lifetime guarantee on the DIC. Is it a SEM/NGK or aftermarket?

This story shows the value of carrying tools and a selection of side-of-the-road replaceable spares. Didn't we once compile a list, on here, of likely suspects? Among my on-board stash is a DIC, CPS, TB, MAF, complete fuel pump/sender unit, some silicone vac tube etc.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So good to hear sorted out. I just now replaced a CPS, had to undo bellows and is a pain in the neck. I hope CPS was the cause. I have been starting to stall while in traffic. So scary. Have yet to test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great thread - great resolution. I hadn't heard about this particular mode of failure by the CPS, thought it primarily misbehaved when hot.

You mentioned you had a lifetime guarantee on the DIC. Is it a SEM/NGK or aftermarket?

This story shows the value of carrying tools and a selection of side-of-the-road replaceable spares. Didn't we once compile a list, on here, of likely suspects? Among my on-board stash is a DIC, CPS, TB, MAF, complete fuel pump/sender unit, some silicone vac tube etc.
Yes I will be carrying these parts with me for now on! It would also be a good idea to find out exactly what tools I need for each repair so that I can consolidate my tool kit and reduce excess weight when traveling. I think I have the NGK DIC which came with a lifetime warranty from Eeuroparts alomost 3 years ago.
Joshua

·
Registered
186 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.
The 'give-away' to the no-start was the lack of tach signal.
Without the CPS outputting an AC signal, the tach is essentially dead.
Try to find a good used DI and always keep at least a good used or new CPS in a travel kit.
Go get at least a cheap Harbor-Freight meter and throw in there also.
Most regular autoparts stores do not stock those two parts.
The cost of a hotel stay for at least one night...(waiting for them to arrive on an interrupted road trip) will justify them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a Volvo back in the dark days before Saab (c. 1986) which was afraid of the dark. Ran flawlessly until dusk and then wouldn’t start. I could hear the fuel pump prime, the car would almost catch, then nothing. It took me an entire year to find the ground wire for that pump in the trunk and grounded on the license plate screw. Even though hand tight, it would contract just enough when could to open the circuit.

Your story put me in mind of my experience and how something like that can cause a lot of trouble and derision of friends/family. Fortunately, yours was only a case of CPS failure.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts