SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for my 2004 9-5 Aero Wagon (auto)

I've ordered new Koni FSDs and new Aero Springs, getting ready for the install and have done a bunch of reading but I still have a few dumb questions.

1) I know my front drivers side bump-stop broke apart because I found remenants of it in the spring perch. should I get a new one? is this something that moves over to the FSDs when installed or is that just part of the old strut which would have been thrown away anyway?

2) I'm planning on buying a strut replacement kit which includs the strut bearings and mount plates... I think I can get the monroe kit locally. anyone know if there is any issue with using this on the Konis? or if this is just a waste of money?

3) from experience are there any other parts which should be replaced at the same time while the struts are off? hard to get parts here so I won't have the luxury of running to the store for a bushing here or there... would need to order them and can't have my car unavalable for days at a time.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
867 Posts
this is for my 2004 9-5 Aero Wagon (auto)

I've ordered new Koni FSDs and new Aero Springs, getting ready for the install and have done a bunch of reading but I still have a few dumb questions.
No question is stupid, not asking can be stupid.

1) I know my front drivers side bump-stop broke apart because I found remenants of it in the spring perch. should I get a new one? is this something that moves over to the FSDs when installed or is that just part of the old strut which would have been thrown away anyway?

2) I'm planning on buying a strut replacement kit which includs the strut bearings and mount plates... I think I can get the monroe kit locally. anyone know if there is any issue with using this on the Konis? or if this is just a waste of money?

3) from experience are there any other parts which should be replaced at the same time while the struts are off? hard to get parts here so I won't have the luxury of running to the store for a bushing here or there... would need to order them and can't have my car unavalable for days at a time.

Thanks all!
1) I dont think it is included and should be replaced.
2)no not a waste of money, if not done could be a major waste of time later on.
3) Any rubber that looks worn by tie rods etc. Brake pads if needed.
repair any damage to drive shafts (if any)
Try and do a full inspection before you begin, that way you can have everything needed when you start. but mostly check rubber/silicone things.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

on questions 3 about other replacement items I meant to specifically ask about other pieces of the strut assembly. so far my bump stops, bearings, mount and spring will be new. anything else in that assembly or mounting I should just plan on replacing while its off and all apart.

I'll be doing the rear also so I guess same question there. I did already pickup new lower bolts since those are high torque as suggested by Frank on Saabworld.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You pretty much mentioned the whole strut assembly.
Not much else is part of it except the boot which should come with the strut.
I cant think of any other part...
I bet it will ride real nice once installed!
I used to race up and down US 131 on a section that was closed for years, in my 1st Saab 99 EMS
(Freeway ended at the Muskegon river, no bridge) nice empty 14 miles.
I am sure they must have built the bridge cause I am getting old.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm about 30 miles south of there. That's a busy stretch of road now, takes you all the way up to Mackinaw.

I'll be doing front subframe, rear arb and front arb at the same time also... so yes, this should be quite the transformation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You'll definitely want new strut mounts. As far as strut bearings, I'd buy OEM if you can. I don't remember what brand I ordered, but they came with the mounts and were garbage; I ended up having a shop swap springs and stuff because my tools were too wide to fit the mount recess and he said we couldn't use the new bearings. Fortunately, my old ones were pretty near perfect condition.

When you do the install, look at the instructions closely. There are a few plastic spacers and things and the instructions don't have text, only pictures. I used the smaller size for the rear because I don't have a wagon and didn't need to change ride height or compensate for heavy loads. Other than issues with getting the nut off the strut rod (mine weren't rusted, the opening was too narrow for my tools) things went very smoothly. My bump stops weren't great but weren't terrible. I didn't order new so I reused them. They were mostly intact. The FSDs do NOT come with bump stops, so you'll need them. Other than mounts (struts), bump stops, the rear shock bolts, bearings, and the actual struts I think you're good. Best of luck and enjoy. I put FSDs on almost two months ago and really like them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
first off I'll just leave this here: http://fixmysaab.com/9-5_repair/suspension/front/intro.asp?nsteps=4
I replaced my front and rear struts 2 weeks ago with Bilstein HDs and this was hugely helpful.

I would say you don't need to replace the mounts up front if they are rust free and in good shape. I got similar advice from other members on here and so thats what I did and everything has been fine so far. Also another thing that really helped me out, I took the wheels off 2 days in advance and hit every bolt I had to undo with some liquid wrench to get them a little loosened up. It will make getting the old ones out way easier and a lot less frustrating.

Another problem that will likely present itself is getting the top nut off the old strut. for the rears I ended up having to dremel off the nut because it was so corroded...this was not exactly fun. On the fronts dremeling these off is not really even an option because of how recessed the nut/bolt is on top. I took the two front assemblies to Pep Boys and just gave them $30 to disassemble both for me. If you have an impact wrench you could probably do it yourself.

I replaced my strut bearings as well even though the old ones looked fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you can check your mounts beforehand, that would be best. The rubber inside both my strut mounts was cracked all the way through all the way around yet my bearings were great. Other people say their mounts were fine but their bearings were shot. If you can't examine everything first, it would be safest to buy bearings AND mounts just in case. I would make plans for the top nut. I had a shop do that for me because my tools wouldn't fit, not because of rust, but I don't live where there's snow. Everyone else who lives with winter weather has mentioned problems with rust on the nut. I believe (maybe someone else can confirm) that my FSDs came with new nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts