SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So pretty much as the title asks: why is it recommended to change the mounts along with bearing? Mounts seem sturdy. Are they prone to failure somewhere?

Also, struts seem to be okay for now. Should I take a chance on them?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hey gents,

Any ideas? I wanted to order the parts today, and was hoping someone would share the knowledge :)

Another question - do I need to purchase bumpstops separately if I order KYBs or Sachs?

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
If you haven't noticed any noises coming from the mounts, and you have factory ones on there, I'd recommend keeping them unless you spring for factory mounts. The aftermarket ones are all pretty crappy. KYB (not recommended) and Sachs struts don't come with bump stops, so if yours are falling apart as mine were, you will need to replace them. Check out Rockauto for those. I ordered a pair of Rein bump stops, which were actually made in Germany, for just a few bucks each. They're not identical to the factory ones, but they're extremely similar. There were bits of the foam bump stops all over my struts because they were starting to disintegrate from the inside out.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
I wouldn't bet on that. I put a KYB mount in my NG900, and it didn't even last 10,000 miles. The biggest issue I've had with aftermarket mounts in my 9-5 is that the nuts aren't welded on very well. Most mounts don't have threaded nuts, and you need an M8x1.25 tap to thread them. I've snapped off three different nuts on three different mounts while threading them with a sharp tap. At the factory, they use special bolts that will thread the nuts themselves (the same bolts that are most likely still on your strut mounts), but you'll snap off a nut or two for sure if you try that because of the amount of force it takes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts