SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to bite the bullet and order Bilstein B6 shocks/struts for my unlowered Linear wagon. Car has 190,000 km (125,000 mi), and makes some deep clunks over certain bumps that sound like they could be strut mounts. (Front subframe bushings all replaced.) So I figure the strut mounts should be done at the same time.

Are there good/bad brands? For 900/9-3 Moogs are notoriously crappy. How is it with 9-5s?

I'm most likely ordering the shocks from Rock Auto, so if there are recommended strut mounts there I'll get them. It's not entirely clear if all the different mounts come with the bearings or not. Also, I assume that any "stock" strut mount will work with the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no difference if I get Monroe or Mevotech or Westar or Üro or KYB or Moog? :confused:

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I can tell you from experience that Moog mounts aren't very good on the 9-5, but other than those and a pair of Corteco mounts I just bought, but haven't installed, I don't have any experience with other brands. Usually if a strut mount comes with bearings, the bearings aren't very good. A pair of SKF bearings isn't all that expensive. Yes, any strut mount will work with the Bilsteins. I've never heard of any that won't.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've been running the Moog mounts with Monroe struts for about 2 months now...from day one they've been great. I did the install myself and was happy with the construction of the Moog mounts. They were very smooth spinning mounts and went in just fine.

That said, it's only been 2 months, so I don't know what Jeremy's experience was with them.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
The welds on one of the nuts broke soon after I installed them, and they weren't over-torqued. They also looked cheap, although I know that looks aren't everything. I also wasn't impressed with their bearings. They seemed fairly rough, even with a ton of grease in them. Moog has a great reputation for their parts for American cars, but their products for Saab seem to be pretty hit or miss. I don't think they make any of them, and just get them from whatever supplier gives them a decent price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Replaced my front suspension with KONI struts, SKF bearings and a Koni Strut Mounts three years ago. Either the driver's side Strut mount or Bearing failed. There are screeching sounds from the strut housing when suspending the front suspension and moving the wheels. I have driven the car less than 30,000 miles in 3 years and they definitely need to be replaced. I would like a heavier duty mounts and bearings. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also, if the URO strut mounts and bearings come with self tapping screws, why do I need to pre-tap them? Are the URO struts mounts with SKF bearings the recommended combination.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I wouldn't trust the welds on any of the strut mount nuts to hold up to the force needed to thread them with a self-tapping screw. I've had three welds on different strut mounts fail while threading nuts with a high-quality tap. The last time I held the nuts with a wrench the best I could while tapping them. I haven't really heard much about Uro mounts. Some of their parts seem to be good, but some aren't. The Corteco mounts I had bought ages ago turned out to be factory ones with the Saab markings painted over. I've never been able to find another pair, though. I currently have those on one of my 9-5s and Monroe strut mounts on the other.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wouldn't trust the welds on any of the strut mount nuts to hold up to the force needed to thread them with a self-tapping screw. I've had three welds on different strut mounts fail while threading nuts with a high-quality tap. The last time I held the nuts with a wrench the best I could while tapping them. I haven't really heard much about Uro mounts. Some of their parts seem to be good, but some aren't. The Corteco mounts I had bought ages ago turned out to be factory ones with the Saab markings painted over. I've never been able to find another pair, though. I currently have those on one of my 9-5s and Monroe strut mounts on the other.
Thanks Jeremy. I prefer purchasing a mount that doesn't require tapping. It is best if it comes like that from the factory. Will check the SAAB sites and Rock auto. I may end up purchasing a Moog Strut Mount with an SKF bearing

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I don't think the Moog mounts come threaded either, but I could be wrong. If you look up the part numbers on RockAuto and then search Amazon for that same part, you can read the reviews and see what people say. If the nuts aren't threaded from the factory, there are probably going to be one star reviews from people saying that the part is faulty because the nuts aren't threaded. 😅

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't think the Moog mounts come threaded either, but I could be wrong. If you look up the part numbers on RockAuto and then search Amazon for that same part, you can read the reviews and see what people say. If the nuts aren't threaded from the factory, there are probably going to be one star reviews from people saying that the part is faulty because the nuts aren't threaded. 😅
It appears the safest route is to purchase the kit from URO which comes threaded. Its a few dollars more expensive but it is worth it. Taxicavenger had a good experience with those on a forum discussion "URO Strut Mount Feedback".

·
Registered
468 Posts
I second the Jeremy R's idea of SKF bearings no matter the strut mount.

At one point I had one pair each of Propart and Uro mounts. The Uro mounts appeared to have been made with more care, and nuts were threaded. BUT the bolts really poorly made - bolt heads which were not formed into proper hex heads, and sockets would not fit onto them ! I did not use either of these - I re-installed the original mounts with new SKF bearings.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The kit is $50 bucks but it supposedly comes with an inferior bearing and some suggest purchasing the SKF and not use the one that comes with the kit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I second the Jeremy R's idea of SKF bearings no matter the strut mount.

At one point I had one pair each of Propart and Uro mounts. The Uro mounts appeared to have been made with more care, and nuts were threaded. BUT the bolts really poorly made - bolt heads which were not formed into proper hex heads, and sockets would not fit onto them ! I did not use either of these - I re-installed the original mounts with new SKF bearings.
Mariner,
Why not use the URO mounts with the factory bolts?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Ed T I did the usual eEuro purchase a while ago and got screwed. I went back to the original mounts and the original bearing. I think the SKF bearing is good, the Monroe kit has different parts that don't correspond exactly to the OEM set up on my 2007 so I would choose carefully. Uro sounds the closest to oem. The self tapping gig drives me nuts. I have had to upsize the securing bolts. I will probably order from Maptun this spring and get their recommendation. I did tap my replacement mounts with a tap rather than using the self tappers. all I got.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any opinions on a Genuine SAAb part? Its the same price with URO/SKF and it comes in one piece.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ended up buying a Black Strut Mount Kit -Uro 5061007A and a SAAB OEM Strut Bearing and OEM Strut Mount Seal.
Will repair the driver side first. If it works well, will repeat on passenger side.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts