SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
Recently the driver-side CV shaft seal failed on my 09' (-3 Aero XWD and started leaking fluid. I was planning to replace the axel anyways so I removed the axel and the old seal but I can for the life of me get a new seal in. I warped the first one trying to install it with a socket and I believe I warped a second one try to install it. I can get the seal to sit flush in the hole and I can't tell if the seal I have is not correct or I'm just inept at this? The new seal won't sit in the chamfered part of the hole but the new ones will not. is that normal? Any ideas on how to install it? I don't see any conventional installer that would work to press on the outer ring of the seal but not the round easy to warp inner metal piece. This is my daily and it sitting in my garage!
Thanks Alot,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Good evening,
Recently the driver-side CV shaft seal failed on my 09' (-3 Aero XWD and started leaking fluid. I was planning to replace the axel anyways so I removed the axel and the old seal but I can for the life of me get a new seal in. I warped the first one trying to install it with a socket and I believe I warped a second one try to install it. I can get the seal to sit flush in the hole and I can't tell if the seal I have is not correct or I'm just inept at this? The new seal won't sit in the chamfered part of the hole but the new ones will not. is that normal? Any ideas on how to install it? I don't see any conventional installer that would work to press on the outer ring of the seal but not the round easy to warp inner metal piece. This is my daily and it sitting in my garage!
Thanks Alot,
Have you tried a rubber mallet? I believe that is what my mechanic used when he did my trans swap

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have but it's almost like the bore isn't right. I have tried a mallet with a price of pvc pipe that fits the circumference of the seal but I can't directly mallet it as the seal is right above the subframe. I broke my first replacement seal applying too much pressure to the seal unevenly.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
If I understand right your seal meas are: 61.20 mm (outer 2 dia), 54.85 mm (outer 1 dia), 35.00 (inner dia) and 8.90 mm (height) according WEBEPC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts