SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced a strong smell of gas immediately after a recent fill up. A little related background: I've dealt with a P0442, Evap System Minor Leak off and on for almost two years. I've replaced the gas cap with little effect on the frequency of P0442 CELs.

This post is primarily precautionary. I checked out the WIS and EPC for location and testing procedures for both the solenoid and the "charcoal canister". Allegedly, I could remove the passenger wheel and arch cover and the canister would be sitting right there in the wing. I removed the wheel and arch cover and was a little POed to find the bracket where the canister was supposed to be but no canister. No connections, no wires... nothing. It turns out that some models in 1998 (at least) did not have the evap canister in the front rather, it's close to the fuel tank.

If you are getting a fuel smell in the cabin, and you've already tested the solenoid and replaced the lines coming to and from it, you may or may not have a front mounted charcoal canister!

Instead of removing the wheel and the arch cover, I recommend turning the wheel all the way to the right and removing the mudflap and prying back maybe the first 1/3 of the arch. You can then use a flashlight to determine if your canister is up front or in the back.

If nothing else, it will save you 30 minutes if you have to tackle this yourself.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Good advice, LongJon, and I thank you.:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've been trying to resolve P0442 for the last 3 years. It comes and goes all by itself. Nobody on this forum seemed to have resolved this problem, although I've seen many threads complaining of this problem.

Any idea on how to find the root cause of the problem?

I don't understand how ECU determines that there's a minor leak? Does anyone know the logic that ECU uses?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My solenoid tested out ok. Other than ensuring that your solenoid is functioning properly and replacing the hoses themselves, I'm not sure what to tell you other than try a smoke test.

Maybe the solenoid starts to stick with time or heat? I don't know. But the intermittent nature of the CEL and the difficulty of tracking down a "gas smell" in an engine compartment combine for no fun under the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts