SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! i already searched and wasn't able to find an answer to this, so sorry in advance if its a duplicate thread.

anyways,

i'm looking to stream internet radio stations through a smart phone... as the radio blows, and xm and sirius just aren't that good for what i want to listen to. i asked a similar question on some other forums and someone said that they do it in their car, and was told to just connect it through the AUX on the car. however, it appears i can't do this in my saab... and i don't have a cassette player to connect through either.

so... is there a way to do this? or am i just screwed?:cheesy: it's an 03 by the way. has this type of console -> http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Saab/100162767/2003.saab.93.9638-T.jpg

thank you in advance! :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
meph said:
so... is there a way to do this? or am i just screwed?:cheesy: it's an 03 by the way. has this type of console -> http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Saab/100162767/2003.saab.93.9638-T.jpg
Yes you can do this! I started doing this recently with my phone (an AT&T 8525 Pocket PC) and an unlimited data plan. So far, I've gotten 128kbps MP3 streams (ie. Soma.FM, monkeyradio.org, etc.) to work up to highway speeds. As long as you have a way to output to a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, you can play any kind of audio. Satellite radio, MP3 player, smartphone, laptop, turntables (maybe your backseat passenger could spin while you drive), etc.

You need an Aux-In port in your car. Some Saabs came with them as an option, but if you are missing one you must either have a dealer install one or you can install the cable yourself and have the dealer activate it. If you have the dealer do it, it will probably cost about an hour of labor along with the part cost (probably about $40). Or, if you do it yourself, all you do is pop off some panels and install the cable, then bring it to the dealer to have it activated with the Tech2 (should be no more than a 30 min labor). You can install the cable yourself but the only way the car is going to recognize the presence of the cable is by adding it in Tech2, which only a service garage can do.

You can buy the cable from a couple different sources:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=227
http://www.etadyne.com/product-auxin3.htm

The Genuine Saab link above also has a PDF on how to install this thing if you choose to do so yourself.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks to all of you for the help! will hopefully get around to doing this in the near future!

as for turntables.... i'm not yet ruling out the prospect of having mix as i drive... though i may need a slightly smaller deck/mixer setup... don't think they'd fit in the passenger seat:cheesy:

·
Registered
409 Posts
meph said:
thanks to all of you for the help! will hopefully get around to doing this in the near future!

as for turntables.... i'm not yet ruling out the prospect of having mix as i drive... though i may need a slightly smaller deck/mixer setup... don't think they'd fit in the passenger seat:cheesy:
You never know when you are running late to an important show and the DJ has some new grooves he needs to perfect before performing. So, you test them out in the car :) Again, there are lots of possibilities for an Aux-In port. Whatever you choose to do with your setup, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Is the audio any good?

You know, people ***** about the sound quality of the 150W stereo system, but I listen to XM exclusively. The sound quality of XM is so bad that the 150W stereo is good enough to hear how bad it is. A better stereo system would just make it sound even worse (hear more compression artifacts, I think).

So... how is the sound quality on the streaming cellphone audio? Better than XM? What's the cost factor?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn no kidding? xm is that bad? i've got the 330 watt system (03 arc) so i'm looking to get a nicer stream quality...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah, it's that bad

XM is really overcompressed. Sound quality on the highs is awful, and I'm not even an audiophile. You know how the letter "s" sounds funny when the stream is really overcompressed? That's XM.

Once in a while I'll forget my XM player and have to listen to FM and I'm amazed at how much better FM sounds.

Of course, FM doesn't have good stations and has too many commercials. So it's a trade off.

BTW, I have an MP3 player that's about 6 years old, and all my MP3s were ripped at 192kpbs, and I feel the same way about the sound quality of those as I do about XM, except that XM is worse!

I'm an audiophile and I don't even know it!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Krieg said:
So... how is the sound quality on the streaming cellphone audio? Better than XM? What's the cost factor?
I have used either my Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone and TCPMP (a streamed MP3 player) or my laptop, tethered to said phone to get mobile data, attached to the car's Aux-In, playing MP3 streams using Winamp. The phone is an AT&T 8525 (aka HTC Tytn) using AT&T's 3G (UMTS) data service in Minneapolis.

I've been able to get 128kbps MP3 streams over the internet to generally hold steady and not skip up to highway speeds. 192kbps is a bit too much. The sound quality stays up there, it's just that if you run into spots of less reception it can cause skipping and interruptions. But overall it's been good to me. Keep in mind that streamed MP3 audio was primarily intended for more stationary installations with little variability in network performance.

At least in my own experience, I find the streamed MP3 audio to be better than XM. This is probably a factor of the equipment and codecs, as I assume that my laptop and/or phone kick out marginally-higher quality audio. I'm not sure what rate XM uses but it sounds like somewhere in the 96-128kbps ballpark on the music channels. But the codec they use degrades the quality more than standard MP3. XM though has to account for the difficulties of satellite transmission and reception, as well as a hard limit of bandwidth on their satellites. They literally have run out of channels at this point.

You MUST have some kind of unlimited data plan or you will get a bill for thousands of dollars at the end of the month. I pay $30/mo for unlimited data on my phone.

As wireless data gets faster and cheaper, something like this may be the killer app in cars one day. You could probably implement it in one of the "drivetime" versions of Windows CE. What's crazy is to hear "write your congressmen and tell them to support Internet radio" while driving down the highway, and as clear as I would hear it coming out of my computer!

·
Registered
267 Posts
iRadio via aux input

I have an iPhone that I can stream thousands of stations. Bit rates vary however sound quality is generally much better than XM. My carrier is TMobile, EDGE network Blackberry data plan.

My free trial for XM expired about 3 weeks ago. Some things I did like but dowsides were many. The comedy stations just keep playing the same tired bits over and over. Opie and Anthony is cool, but I can hear that for free in my market. I also liked Ron and Fez, but again, same tired schtick if your a regular listener.

Haven't tried the $77/year renewal, and I don't know if I will bother even at that price. I have just so many options open to me with internet radio.

·
Registered
22 Posts
another idea

my .02
If you don't have an AUX then...just buy an FM TRANSMITTER. You plug into it with the headphone jack from the phone/mp3 player then set it to the 87.1 or something like that and tune the radio into that freq.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive got one of those now but it only connects to an ipod, and i feel like the quality isnt that great :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
do you have the ipod brand one?

There are different brands and quality for sure. I bought one from best buy for 20 bucks a few years ago..it never worked without static. You could probably make your own aux input, i think there is a way to make your own imput wire...i will search.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts