SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the car is a '96 900se with the 2.0 turbo engine.

i have the original dealership window sticker that was on the car.
it states that it came with the 5-speed manual.
this is wrong as i have an auto (i know they can be swapped)
but this gets weird.

at the risk of sounding stupid i was 99% shure the autos where 4+3 - 4 gears and 3 driving modes.
mine has 5 gears though...am i just going crazy or did they make this?

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,748 Posts
Well, the 900 has the Aisin Warner AW50-40LE (actually the 9000 does too) - which is a 4 speed overdrive electronically controlled automatic transaxle. (That from the service manual). Which means I gather that you would have 4 + overdrive.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A 5-speed automatic transmission cerca 1996? I don't think so. Its a 4 forward speed, 1 reverse speed automatic transmission with Overdrive. The three modes are econo mode (normal driving mode when you start the car, sport mode which changes shift points to higher rpms, and winter mode, 3rd gear start mode to reduce wheel spin on icy roads.

Are you sure you're not just confusing the feeling of a 5th gear with the automatic transmissions torque converter LOCKING UP after engauging 4th gear?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Diosnoche has the correct answer and the explaination. But todays "overdrive" means little to nothing - it is simply a gear ratio. VW , Saab, many others used overdrive ratios back in the 50s,60s..

English and American cars of the 30s into the 60s had the real overdrive, another gearbox with a 0.7 final drive reduction...A solenoid was used; at full throttle the overdive was disengaged resulting in a nice "kickdown".
The marketers must have picked up on this in odrer to fool the buying public. In far too many cases, this is their reason of being...
Eight speeds are on the horizon !...Automatics and manuals...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
earthworm said:
They're already here! Lexus LS600, some Mercedes Benz and BMW's already have 8-forward speeds in an autobox, most of the real high end models.

Here is a better explaination of how the torque converter operates:

A torque converter has three stages of operation:

Stall. The prime mover is applying power to the pump but the turbine cannot rotate. For example, in an automobile, this stage of operation would occur when the driver has placed the transmission in gear but is preventing the vehicle from moving by continuing to apply the brakes. At stall, the torque converter can produce maximum torque multiplication if sufficient input power is applied (the resulting multiplication is called the stall ratio). The stall phase actually lasts for a brief period when the load (e.g., vehicle) initially starts to move, as there will be a very large difference between pump and turbine speed.

Acceleration. The load is accelerating but there still is a relatively large difference between pump and turbine speed. Under this condition, the converter will produce torque multiplication that is less than what could be achieved under stall conditions. The amount of multiplication will depend upon the actual difference between pump and turbine speed, as well as various other design factors.

Coupling. The turbine has reached approximately 90 percent of the speed of the pump. Torque multiplication has essentially ceased and the torque converter is behaving in a manner similar to a fluid coupling. In modern automotive applications, it is usually at this stage of operation where the lock-up clutch is applied, a procedure that tends to improve fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,748 Posts
earthworm said:
Diosnoche has the correct answer and the explaination. But todays "overdrive" means little to nothing - it is simply a gear ratio. VW , Saab, many others used overdrive ratios back in the 50s,60s..

English and American cars of the 30s into the 60s had the real overdrive, another gearbox with a 0.7 final drive reduction...A solenoid was used; at full throttle the overdive was disengaged resulting in a nice "kickdown".
The marketers must have picked up on this in odrer to fool the buying public. In far too many cases, this is their reason of being...
See - and people wonder why I get excited when I steal a Lay**** 'J' overdrive out of a volvo to put on one of the triumphs - just to get a better end ratio :)

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know. you are absolutly right...i could've sworn it was a 5th gear ;oops:

Damn...thought my car was special :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts