SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when I got this 2001 it had 56k on it. The right rear tire looks pretty much new, but it always had a slow leak (would go down to about 25 psi). I never thought much of it until one day my mechanic said it was cut all the way around the inside of the rim.

So I replaced that tire when I got a whole new set of Conti Extreme contact DWS. NOW, that DWS on the right rear is losing pressure.

The rim is true and it balanced out when they mounted them. What I'm wondering is there something wrong with the suspension back there that would cause it to knock air out of the tire? I looked the tire over well and I can't find any punctures or buldging. Can a bad spring put too much load on it? I don't know how high the car is supposed to sit since I got it used, so I have no way of determining the quality of the spring.

ANY ideas here would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
How long did the new set run before the new tire started losing pressure?

And the answer to your question is, "No, not really."

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Just get the tire fixed.

Nothing 'knocks' air out of tires, and if there were something amiss in the rear suspension you'd know in other ways, mostly in wallowing body roll, clanking around or the like.

In six months you could have picked up a nail or your wheel could have suffered slight damage hitting a pothole, etc.

If you really want to prove it to yourself, rotate the tires. I'm willing to bet that the affected wheel and tire continue to lose pressure where ever they are mounted.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
A hairline crack in the wheel can cause what you're describing as well.

If they didn't install new valve stems when you got your new tires, you could just have a very slowly leaking valve stem.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

If they didn't install new valve stems when you got your new tires, you could just have a very slowly leaking valve stem.
Or crap on the rim where the bead of the tire seals, corrosion, whatever.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I would start with changing the stem; and if you check your air pressure every 6 months :nono;you should exspect it to lose air; I check mine at least once a month; any tire can lose that much air in 6 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts