SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Saab 900se 2.0 turbo.

Basicly while at a stop City driving or at a low speed 15mph it sounds like a low pitch Whistle then slowly climbs up to a higher pitch like a turbo spooling up sound. I am guessing it the Turbo doing it. Becuse you hear it in the Inside of the car. Basicly sounds like the Wind from the outside at home on a windy day.

Please note I am not losing Oil, transmission or power Stearing fluids. Everything is working fine. No fluids on the driveway. Tried Open and close windows and sun Roof and so on they are sealed.

I drove this car 400 Miles so far.

This is not what I am use to on a Turbo. My last car a 280zx turbo 2.8 lt inline six datson. All you feel is the Boost. You dont hear the boost.

Any ideas.

But the funny thing is My family found out why I wanted a car with a turbo. They dont mess around while going up mountain roads. You dont have to down shift as much and It just Keep going FAST.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any mods?

You can hear the turbo spooling, but im not sure that you should hear it with a stock engine..

If a certain rubber plug is missing you will hear about everything from the engine bay while driving.

(If this plug is missing you can, as i sai hear pretty much everything. If it's not missing, i wouldn't say there is something wrong with your car. Is there something else that makes you think there's something wrong?)

The plug is located in the bulkhead (is this the right word?)

Inside the car: Its above the pedals, above the steering rod. Plug is somewhere around half an inch wide.

You can also see it from outside the car. A blurry, bad picture below. It's hard to get a good photo of this, since it's really aggravating and boring to remove and put back.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great pic, Nine

What bad spelling ?
You communicate well.
Why does that yellow lettered sticker on the strut brace read in English ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
earthworm said:
Great pic, Nine

What bad spelling ?
You communicate well.
Why does that yellow lettered sticker on the strut brace read in English ?
Thank you! English can be pretty tricky when it comes to every-day-language in writing. So the quality between sentences may differ :cheesy:

It's not my picture, so i wont take credit for it ;)

All stickers in the engine bay is in english. All stickers and buttons inside the car also (except the SID), the only swedish words you'll find in a saab is in the manual. This is because of export, and i bet they think it's too much work to change all stickers depending on what country the car is, or will be, located.

edit.
Oh, one more thing. In the picture you can see two hoses going through. There shouldn't be holes in it. This is not stock, it's a hose for a boost gauge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nine you might be right on this. See this happen at a stop sign or going slow 15mph or slower. When the turbo Guage is in the Low white zone Inside the car. Yellow or the Edge of the red zone on the Turbo you do not hear it. All you feel is the power.

But if you hit the winds the right way it sounds like a seal like Window seal is lose . Which I check all 6 windows and dont feel anything other then sound passanger side. So the seal must be on the right hand side.

Not overheating. Has not lost a drop of fluid of any kind. Driven the car a total 500 miles. The area I live in is Stressful on Cars and Trucks due to the Mountain grade I drive in. Going up a mountain about 4,000 feet high in 8 mins. Which is hard on cars or trucks. The unexperiance trucks going down hill burn or smoke there 18 wheelers brakes That stinks really bad. I seen brakes on fire in my area.

All the guages work on the car. The last few weeks I been getting the radio/ Heater/AC blower and Antenna in. Minor repairs. Now all eletronics are fix.

The only problem I hear is that sound. Or a few skips of a CD Player. Which I might change to a system like a Ipod or mp3 player that plays 12k songs

Other then that. My family was like why a saab? I was like it was cheap and a new motor. Now there looking to buy a used one. I wonder why. I guess looking at the guages, the sound system AC/Heater plus the power and such. They want to get rid of there slow saturn. I dont blame them once they lose Power of 80mph due to slower drivers going up a mountain they have to downshift and turn off there AC.

They told me they are turn on by the seat warmers. I might sell them my car and get one with a stick shift. I love the automatic but I like to control the power.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honestly, i dont think there is something wrong with the car, since there's no power or acceleration loss?

That sound may come from the windshield. The rubber seal at the roof sometimes get's small "air pockets" and that will make a horrible noise. But this is when you're going 70mph and faster. But i dont thinks it's impossible that you can hear it, as you say, if you hit the wind just right.

The spoolup sound starts at approximately 1200-1500 rpm and you can heart it over 2500rpm. Because of the sound the engine makes, and also because the pitch is way to high for a human ear to hear it.
If you can still hear it in those rpm's, something's leaking. But you would probably notice that.

If you want to investigate the eingine further, stock maximum boost is around 1,0-1,1 bar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, i dont think there is something wrong with the car, since there's no power or acceleration loss?

The only Loss I get is when you go behind a slow poke half ton driving 35mph in a 55mph zone. We all know it the that there fault. You have to slow down to there speed and hope there a opening to pass them or they pull to the side some. Then you gun it.

When I hit a hill or even flat land I tend to have alot of pedel left. I am not losing any power.

The spoolup sound starts at approximately 1200-1500 rpm and you can heart it over 2500rpm. Because of the sound the engine makes, and also because the pitch is way to high for a human ear to hear it.
If you can still hear it in those rpm's, something's leaking. But you would probably notice that.
I know this sounds odd but I can hear it spoolup inside the car. But outside you hear it but it but not as loud or can not hear it unless your in side the car. If something was leaking I would of seen it on the driveway. I put cardboard under the car. Nothing. Not a drop of anything anywhere.

Someone seid the Power stearing fluid low but it fill to the top.

I am going to try to locate the sound in side the car then go to the area out side the car and listen if I hear something I will take it to a friend who can tell me what the problem is. He use to repair cars all the time. Now he a full time tow truck driver.

Oh when I start moving the sound stops.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know this sounds odd but I can hear it spoolup inside the car. But outside you hear it but it but not as loud or can not hear it unless your in side the car. If something was leaking I would of seen it on the driveway. I put cardboard under the car. Nothing. Not a drop of anything anywhere.
I had similar worries like you after buying a stock 9-3, because I had never owned a forced-induction car before. I could hear the turbo spool up clearly on the passenger side (almost as if it were coming out of the area between the windshield and dashboard.) And like you said, it isn't so loud outside of the car. That's not a problem, just a sound you will grow to love. :cheesy:

Any bolt-ons done to the car?

If a flat-panel K&N filter or something is on there, or an open-air intake for some reason, you will certainly hear that noise inside the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts