SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums, but have tried a seach but didn't see anything that seemed the same.

I've recently bought a 1999 Saab 9-5, which I had serviced as soon as purchased, plus also had to take it to a Saab garage as the airbag warning light was on.

That's been resolved, but in the past few days, there's a strange smell appeared in the car, that smells of gas.
Not fuel/gasoline, but gas as in running the central heating at home type gas.
Is there anything obvious anyone can think of that could cause this?

The car starts and runs perfectly, but need to keep the windows open to clear the smell!

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Fuel clip maybe?

Check your fuel clip. Lift rear seats,access, the area where the fuel pump is an check the clip. There is an active recall for model years a couple older than you, but might be the case...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Its not a leak on the air con is it? Had mine regassed recently and for a day or so after the gas obviously lingers around, if its leaking that may be it?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Does it occur when the car warms up? It could be a leaking heater matrix or coolant bypass valve.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have seen threads in which new owners smell the crankcase emissions from a neglected PCV system and can't accurately describe the odour (for instance, me). Check for shredded and/or disconnected hoses. Another option could be an exhaust manifold gasket or other exhaust leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, Thanks for the replies.

I've put the car into a local garage today, so I'll update this post when it comes back.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kermit said:
Does it occur when the car warms up? It could be a leaking heater matrix or coolant bypass valve.
Hi No, it's a continual smell.
I left the windows open on the drive all day, but it didn't disappear.

·
Registered
805 Posts
balders said:
Hi No, it's a continual smell.
I left the windows open on the drive all day, but it didn't disappear.
My friend spilled fish juice on the back seat and carpet. It took 2 months for the smell to go away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have had this happen to me twice. i have noticed it when starting up after a long period of time and the fan automatically comes on sucking in fresh air. someone mentioned to me to check the MAF sensor. my smell was under the hood very strong on the left side of the engine. nothing was leaking from the look of it. its only occurred twice on startup and will go away for a week or so. let me know what the garage says about it and if its something pricey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts