SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just removed the throttle body in order to replace the gaskets.

But under the throttle body there is a plate with a a kind of basket fitted inside the manifold. There is no gasket under this part so I'm worrying about the air leak that could happen here.

What is this part for ? I don't see it in air intake schemas... Looks like a restrictor or something to stabilize airflow in the manifold.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Outer part is gasket (P/N 9189713). Inner part is air distributor (9189481).
EPC shows them under engine, inlet and exhaust system, throttle body.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just when you think you've seen just about every part, someone has to go and find another.

And Mimmi answers it just like that. ;ol;

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you !

Problem is I don't have the gasket so it is not good. I understand the distributor was not fitted in all B205 so I guess I can just remove it ?

Well in fact the gasket is here or more likely what happened to be a gasket long time ago.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it was on all T7's.
I don't think so. Looks like it was installed on 2002-2003 9-3 and some 9-5 got it also. I watched to a tutorial about replacing the throttle body (9-5) and the car didn't have that one. Funny thing is that the 9-5 built after 2003 didn't get this distributor anymore.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you !

Problem is I don't have the gasket so it is not good. I understand the distributor was not fitted in all B205 so I guess I can just remove it ?

Well in fact the gasket is here or more likely what happened to be a gasket long time ago.

Looks like that gasket is available at Esaab and Euro for under $6

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have this option anymore :cheesy:

I found that there was a bit of oil in this area. I suppose this thing helps catching oil vapours.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The question is - was it discontinued as a cost-cutting measure, because it was found to be useless?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The WIS says on "LEV cars" ( not sure what that means...) "there is an air strainer fitted under the throttle body that distributes air as evenly as possible to the different cylinders to attain an even combustion"

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
I had a 2001 9-3 that had that strainer, and now have a 2000 and a 2001 9-5 that don't. That's interesting that it was there to distribute air to the cylinders. It reminds of the clips they used to use on the fuel injectors on the 9000 and NG900. There were two, and each one clipped two injectors together. There was an old press release that said the clips kept the injectors aligned properly so that they'd spray fuel in the optimal direction. They were dropped around 1998. I don't know if the 9-3 and 9-5 kept the injectors aligned by a different method, or if Saab just decided it wasn't worth it anymore, possibly like the intake manifold strainer.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
The WIS says on "LEV cars" ( not sure what that means...) "there is an air strainer fitted under the throttle body that distributes air as evenly as possible to the different cylinders to attain an even combustion"
LEV is low emission vehicle. I suspect it was only on cars that were ordered in states that required cars to be CA compliant.

I had a 2001 9-3 that had that strainer, and now have a 2000 and a 2001 9-5 that don't. That's interesting that it was there to distribute air to the cylinders. It reminds of the clips they used to use on the fuel injectors on the 9000 and NG900. There were two, and each one clipped two injectors together. There was an old press release that said the clips kept the injectors aligned properly so that they'd spray fuel in the optimal direction. They were dropped around 1998. I don't know if the 9-3 and 9-5 kept the injectors aligned by a different method, or if Saab just decided it wasn't worth it anymore, possibly like the intake manifold strainer.
I think those clips were a T5 thing, I remember dealing with them when doing head gaskets on a 1999 9-3. I suspect the T7 cars hold the injectors in place via a different method since the fuel rail and injectors are different, or maybe the injectors spray in a cone pattern rather than a fan so don't require alignment.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LEV is low emission vehicle. I suspect it was only on cars that were ordered in states that required cars to be CA compliant.

I think those clips were a T5 thing, I remember dealing with them when doing head gaskets on a 1999 9-3. I suspect the T7 cars hold the injectors in place via a different method since the fuel rail and injectors are different, or maybe the injectors spray in a cone pattern rather than a fan so don't require alignment.

Well my car was sold in Sweden and is Euro 4 compliant. Would be interesting to know if 2005-2006 9-5 got the strainer or not. BTW I think I fixed some leaks because now my E85 adaptation is accurate and the engine is working very well. I hope it will last this way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts