SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving with a known to be bad ECM for a couple months now. I have done hours of research on the matter and pretty much every code has pointed directly at the ECM. I have had every symptom from no-start and flooding, the p02xx codes, p0687, and a couple more related codes.

The thing that has me a bit confused at the moment is the most recent issue I had. I came out to my car after work one day, went to start the car, and got a single click. That happened repeatedly before I decided to take the starter out and apart. I cleaned it up, internally, inspected brushes, and jumped it on the bench. I reinstalled it, and low and behold, the car started right up.

I drove it home and decided to ride my old BMW airhead in while waiting for a new starter. Last night I put a new starter in, but I got a bit of a surprise. The first two times I tried to start it, I got a single click. After that it started. This morning it started as well and I decided to risk the 32 mile drive to work.

My question is thus: Could this be related to the ECM? I don't have a helper to test for voltage while I try to start it, nor does my meter have a hold function.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Solenoid?

A loud click from the starter without anything else usually implies that you have a bad starter solenoid. I've never had to mess with the starter or solenoid of any of my saabs but I would start there. I don't claim to be an expert on Saab starters but I've had that scenario in other cars and mowers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I figured out the problem with the starter. I replaced it last night as I said. Just had the problem again though. Turns out, the battery disconnect switch keeps coming up. The yellow button is gone and I can see the metal contactor. I pushed it in and held it down by wedging a piece of plastic in there. It started right up. Now I'm going to just move the second positive cable over to bypass it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bummer

I almost suggested low voltage can also do that but I didn't want to insult your intelligence. I figured you had tested the battery first. Low voltage might not be enough to fire the solenoid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Realistically, you were right. I did test voltage at the battery, but not the starter. The cutoff switch wasn't making full connection. It wouldn't reset fully either. As a matter of fact, it was limiting power to my ECU as well, giving me a near perpetual P0686. The last 18 hours it has driven better and more reliably than ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts