SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1996 saab 900 se turbo RHD, of late I have been noticing quite a loud knocking sound coming from the front right of the car when turning left only (more load on that wheel). this only really occurs with a few bumps in the road while turning. but the steering feels tight and ok.
I am reasonably technically minded and have managed to replace both shocks, control arms and stabilizer bar links. both stanchion arm bushes , tie rod ends and wheel bearings seem tight.
My next thought would be to replace the strut bearings and inner tie rod bushings?
thoughts? could this be a steering rack problem?

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tim,
Good that you've done that preventative maintenance to keep your 900 on the road.
Tie Rod bushings is a good start - but I would also look to see if your tie rod/ link end is bent. - Personal experience from a 9-3 here - I had a bent link end.
What is the condition of your springs? Could you have any rust issues from snow/ice?
I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up in a WOF if it is a safety issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mort, thanks for he reply.

Im all for preventative maintenance, its also my first and only car which iv had for almost 10 years now, so its a keeper.
when you say bent tie rod/link end you mean the cast part that bolts to the suspension strut? or the tie rod? or both? i cant see how this would bend?
a good friend of mine (the WOF guy) had a good look over on the hoist and we couldn't find anything obvious.
the springs are ok, i had them out and replaced them for an aftermarket set so should be good. the car itself is in good condition since it has been in a garage most of its life.
also we dont salt our roads in New Zealand or have much snow fall in many of the main cities which is a plus!

I have also thought it might be fatigued steering column mount points on the firewall? iv heard this is a common problem but am not confident it is this issue as it seem to be holding quite solid when viewing it.

cheers.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
I'm late to this party... the RHD cars had a problem with firewall cracks where the rack mounts. There was a TSB and a kit that was welded in place to correct. Free repair from SAAB at the time... might still be depending on your country's laws and what happened with GM down there.

It's not a clicking sound, correct? Classic CV joint failure is a clicking sound when turning at slow speed (at high speed you can't hear it over the road noise).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Bob,

As far as i know there are no SAAB dealers or anyone who would carry out a free repair in NZ, if it is that problem? so im on my own.
As for the CV, i don't get any noise at low speeds and its not a clicking sound. the noise only really comes when i hit bumps turning left.

Ill be ordering new strut bearings today and replacing them after i get back from holiday.
hopefully its that!.. ill update when done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When it comes to Strut mounts - I ordered mine from Neo Brothers in the UK - Shipping was good. I also found PFS in the UK to be good as well - because they handle RHD cars. - Confirming > Do you have a vert 900 or hardtop?
Schofields in Auckland were the Saab Dealers, but its unlikely they would do the free repairs now.

My understanding was that the firewall crack issue was confined to verts - but I could be wrong.
Bobsaabit or Mimmi etc > can you comment about that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never used Neo Brothers before but have used PFS. I'v orders the latest parts from Rock Auto, shipping to NZ is awesome.
I have a hardtop 900. im really hoping its not a firewall crack, are there any ways to test this? i think i remember reading somewhere if the peddles move when steering stationary its not good??

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
If you can dig out the TSB, there's probably some diagnostic info in there to determine if the bulkhead is cracked. I don't know much about it as we never had the problem in LHD land. You might be able to visibly see them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts