SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I took my favorite little slug to the shop for the first time today. I didn't realize, but apparently every metal object under the car is rusted and about to fall apart.

Well not really. But it has lots of problems, such as a gas leak, an exhaust pipe rusted apart in two places, wheel bearings almost shot, and rust rust everywhere. I love the car though, and I'm anxious to fix it up.. but I don't have loads of money, and I only spent $700 on it. But hey, it runs just fine, and for now that's all I really care.

Except the idle. I know this is a common issue, but I can't really find any info on this specific thing. I noticed this while idling but it happens when I give it gas too: Every 5 seconds or so I hear a little *click* near the passenger door, and the RPMs drop a little bit, as if the AC kicked in (of course my AC is off), like something is taxing the engine. Then about one second later *click* again and the engine bumps back up to normal.

I put it in park (auto trans) and gave it some gas, maybe up to 2000 RPM, and still I hear a click and feel a small drop, then another click and back up, then repeat. What the heck is going on?? I had every electrical or extraneous thing turned off. I hope this isn't anything totally abnormal.

I'm taking it in again tomorrow for an inspection and some real estimates, and I'll bring this up. I'll let you know how it goes if anyone is interested. I love my new Saab.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm thinking the click is the fuel-pump relay, switching on the fuel pump--this should be a silent operation, and may mean the pump is drawing way too much current (due to age). This would explain the drop in rpm also--the alternator is loading to supply the extra juice to the pump.

Another possibility is that the system relay (also located just ahead of the passenger door) is cycling to activate the AIC valve, which is unresponsive. Take the AIC valve off, and flush it out with WD-40. Refit and measure the voltage across its terminals, as explained in the Bentley manual, page 240-21.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet one of those ideas is dead on. Thanks for your expertise ProfZ.. these are things I do not know yet. I'm learning tons on this forum.

Of those ideas, I bet it's the fuel pump relay, because my idle is otherwise fine and even at about 800 rpm (in between clicks), so it seems my AIC is working.. you think? I also noticed today that the problem was non-existant at stop lights and my idle was great. However when I noticed it last night it was after coming home with a warm engine.

PS: I got my A/C working today! And luckily there wasn't anything wrong with it, it just needed a recharge. So very happy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hilarious outcome!

This is an old thread but I have a fun update. The little idle problem was no biggie at all. The culprit: a sticking passenger power window button. !! That's all it was! Har har, I was worried over nothing. I was so young and naive :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts