SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Some days ago, the odometer and trip meter my Ng900 turbo (96) started to behave erraticly, show some strange charachters but after a few minutes return to normal.

Three days ago, it went completely off, when I push the button, only shows strange charachters (all of the display) and then it start to fade one by one, finally it turns off.

ABS is working ok, I checked the sensors in the front wheels thinking that they could be the culprit, but they are ok.

SRS is not working, has a fault, and from time to time code P1171 appears.

Any advise where can I start to trace the fault?

I was thinking some problem in the cluster panel but the idea of taking it out is something I really don't enjoy. But if you think it can cause the odometer fault, well, I'll do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
It's likely the actual LCD display failing. Possibly a loose connection to the actual cluster board, maybe segments in the LCD failing. It's been on for 23 years....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you jvanabra, maybe it's time to have fun taking out the instruments cluster and resoldering bad solder joints... :cry:

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
It's not all that bad of a job - everything fits together well and reliably, so taking it apart and putting it back together isn't bad.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
My 1997 odometer started to display funny characters, usually after starting in very cold weather (colder than Guatemala for sure), and when it just started to warm up. Then as the car came to normal interior temperature the display came back correctly.

You can slam the dash top and see if anything changes. Be careful not to hurt your hand. :cheesy:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not all that bad of a job - everything fits together well and reliably, so taking it apart and putting it back together isn't bad.
You're right, everything fits well and reliably but trying to find where the fault is inside the instrument cluster... well, that's another story.

First thing I did after taking it out was checking the connection to the cluster board but everything seemed ok. I separated the conector to the board and clean it, even took off the odometer out of the instrument cluster to checked all solder joints, broken parts or anything that could cause any issue.

But nothing, afeter reassembling the instrument cluster, the odometer is not working.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 1997 odometer started to display funny characters, usually after starting in very cold weather (colder than Guatemala for sure), and when it just started to warm up. Then as the car came to normal interior temperature the display came back correctly.

You can slam the dash top and see if anything changes. Be careful not to hurt your hand. :cheesy:
Thanks EdT, for sure Guatemala is a lot hotter and this days even more.

I have slamed the cluster some times to bring the odometer back to life again and for sure, that was the way for it to work. But this time it seems to be broke, just funny charachters and then fade to eternity... :cry:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok.
Odometer and trip meter are not working after checking the connection to the cluster board, even take all the piece out of the cluster to clean it.

What else can be causing the odometer not to work? Some relay? Ignition switch? By the way, the ignitions switch is new.

If there is nothing more to check, do you have any suggestion to install a new odometer (not saab original) in any other part of panel?

Thanks in advance!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts